Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 15767 times)

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, »
FWIW I have used Antec power supplies in every pc I have ever built and I have never had a failure.
Whenever I have to replace a power supply in one of our company pcs or a friends pc, I use Antec.
Of course, this is just my opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am sure this one will get shot down but I ordered it anyway for $19.99 free shipping and no tax.  It has a rating of 29 amp on a single rail.  I am not going to have that many nodes.  It is back to $30 now.  It has 4 egg rating.  It will do for a starter supply.

Ron

My 2010 Videos

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, »
12V @ 500W = 41 amps

Just remember most supplies are not very efficient, so its probably a lot lower.

Some of the better supplies are rated "80 PLUS" ... so that tells me that most are well below 80 percent efficient.

For example, the first two supplies on my list are 450w and 500w ... and they have amp ratings of 21a and 28a ... not
even close to 41 amps.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, »
+12V@29A  from the website...

not bad  you should be able to get 25A out of that for your smart strings needs continously.

it's a good buy.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline urthegman

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, »
Thanks everyone for all your help. I ended up with this one: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   60 amps on the single 12V rail and it is rated 80 plus. George

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, »
Directly from the manufacturer's spec sheet...

DX-400WPS

12v rail 1    14A
12v rail 2    15A

Ok I thought I cancelled my order and they verified it but I received 4 in the mail today.  I don't see a charge on my card yet.  Anyway the price is now 21 bucks when I paid $9.95.  Cant I use both V1 and V2?  Could I use it for 5v applications?  I thought the hub had several power inputs?
Will

Offline tbone321

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, »
Unless the supply allows for it connecting them together could damage the supply.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, »
Cant I use both V1 and V2? Could I use it for 5v applications? I thought the hub had several power inputs?
there is a chance that a weaker rail could try to sink the power from a stronger rail. (similar to connecting two or more power supplies together) ther are most likely ways to acheive this, but i havent attempted it. and the price of getting the parts, and shipping invested in it, you might as well have the better supply.

Plus, if you dont tamper with your power supply, they most likely have warranties in case they do fail.

Earlier when I said "when in doubt, if you can afford a power supply recommended by RJ, go for it."
it was meant as a response to
Ok, now I'm running scared on power supplies. I know what I need as far as stats are concerned, but I definitely don't want to blow up my SS strings. While I don't want to spend more than I have to, I absolutely don't want to fry my light show over $20 either.

Understanding that any electronic component can (and ultimately will) fail, and knowing that even the best company out there will occasionally produce a dud, can anyone provide a positive list of manufacturers with a good track record.

...yes, I could spend a couple of hours online and come up with this.. and will if I have to, but I figure the collective brain power on this site is enough to build a space shuttle if we wanted to... so why repeat the effort if someone already knows the answers.

My understanding so far is, to calculate the AMPS you need for your strings...   add on another 20% -ish   then try to find a ATX power supply with a single 12v rail that can handle that.
if you have a high number of amps, then think about splitting them up over 2 or more hubs ( to distribute the power needed.) then you wont need as powerful of a supply.

for example, i ordered 4 SSC's, and 2 Hubs...   if i split my ssc over the two hubs, i would only need (~4AMPS x 2 (SSC) = 8 + 20% equals about 9.6AMPS, or about 10 amps...   so i could buy 2 cheap power supplies, than if i tried to put it all on one hub (then in this case, i'd need a 20A supply, not a big issue, but as power needs grow, splitting up into more than one hub makes sense.)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, »
The problem I have with buying a power supply is knowing whether to buy for 2011, or buy for 2012 as well.  If you make the investment in a 70a + supply now... then you can fill the entire hub eventually, otherwise your buy enough power for now only and would be looking at the big supply later or another hub and another smaller supply.  Gets you thinking about the future and whether you want one big hub or more smaller or half filled ones.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, »
You can really overthink this one if you let it happen.  You really need to look at your layout and into the near future and decide how many pixles or nodes you are going to want to have and how you see the layout in the near future such as 1012.  If you are planning on significant additions to the existing hub then I would get a larger supply but if your future plans include additions that would require an additional hub somwhere else then size the supply to what you need now and don't worry about it.  RJ has plans for many new hubs including 4 and 8 port hubs and some IIRC, will be simple pixelnet hubs without DMX output which will make them quite inexpensive and give maximum flexability so I wouldn't worry all that much about the supply.  You still have plenty of time to make that decision anyway since the hub and SSC kits still haven't even been ordered.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lightguy

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, »
Newegg weekend deal, Corsair 600w 12V single rail after mail in rebate $34.99........

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  promo code EMCYTZT329

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2011, »
Newegg weekend deal, Corsair 600w 12V single rail after mail in rebate $34.99........

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  promo code EMCYTZT329

Is this good enough to power one hub with 16 x 128 smart string?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2011, »
you would need a PSU with about 75-80Amps for a fully loaded Hub

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011, »
It looks like I  will be spending $100-$200+ for a PSU.  :(

thanks for the response!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, »
you could run 8 strings on 2 hubs..

two cheaper supplies might be better than one expensive