Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 15768 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2011, »
Thanks everyone for all your help. I ended up with this one: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   60 amps on the single 12V rail and it is rated 80 plus. George

I decided to get the same one, since $90 (AR) for 60a seemed to be the perfect blend of plenty of power (for now) and future capacity.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, »
Mardi Gras Sale at Newegg ... some good deals on power supplies:

30a / $35 ... PROMO CODE EMCKGKB29 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [ ANTEC, 80 PLUS ] ...   >.d9

50a / $50 ... PROMO CODE EMCKGKB28 ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  [ ROSEWILL, 80 PLUS ]  / $1 per AMP!!  ;D

60a / $80 AR ** PROMO CODE EMCKGKB22 $10 OFF, $20 REBATE ** ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login [ CORSAIR, 80 PLUS ] ... same supply as above, just on Mardi Gras Sale  <;d
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2011, »
As a non IT guy, I don't understand why there are not other 12vdc power supplies out there rather than these computer ones.  It seems so inefficent to use these power supplies when your not using most of the outputs, just using the one 12v output.
Will

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, »
I agree, all those cords do seem to be a waste.  Even in most PC(s) those cords just sit around in the case forever ... not hooked up to anything.

I think there are other supplies.  But one of the reason RJ went with these ATX supplies is that they are mass manufactured and sold in quantity (its a large market, the PC market) and as such, prices are low for them, regardless of whether you use all the cables or not.  If you select a modular supply, then you can just plug in the cords you will need.  Most of these, however, are not modular as those typically cost a bit more.  One you get into the other supplies, your talking a much smaller market ... and supply & demand on those ~ higher prices.

I mean, many other RGB users are buying inline 12v supplys with 2-3amp ratings and injecting and re-injecting and those are about $8-10 each ... but you have to buy a lot of them, so the SS Hub design (I think) scales well, but isn't the best for scattering all over the yard, unless you use lots of hubs and smaller power supplies ... and smaller hubs may be coming in the future.  It might be nice for those smaller supplies to just accept an simple power injection supply, like the $10 variety?

Offline Corey872

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2011, »

I mean, many other RGB users are buying inline 12v supplys with 2-3amp ratings and injecting and re-injecting and those are about $8-10 each ... but you have to buy a lot of them, so the SS Hub design (I think) scales well, ...

I think this is the key, though...a 12V / 3A supply is running $8-10 or about $3 per amp.  A 70 amp PC supply is ~$70 or ~$1 per amp.  I have looked around for other cheaper / surplus supplies and in the dollars per amp figure, PC supplies seem to reign supreme.  Plus it should be a very closely controlled power supply, efficient with very little ripple.

Had even considered running my welder to get the high amp 12VDC, but I think the power factor would cost more over the season than just buying an efficient PC supply.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, »
Most welder supplies are brute force supplies and are not all that well regulated or filtered and not all that efficient either.  Computer supplies do offer the most bang for the buck and for most are the best way to go.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ptone

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, »
Will these 12V ATX power supplies need any modification, or will the hub send the whatever signal is the equivalent of a "computer power on" signal needed to fire them up?

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, »
the power suplly will not need modification
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, »
I believe the P/S will be on all the time, provide its plugged in.

There is a limit of 4a (5a fused) per cat5 in the pixelnet standard.

So that should be enough for any of the SS options, and is pushing the
limit of carrying power over cat5.  But RJ did tests and the cat5 barely
heated up at all.

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2011, »
As a non IT guy, I don't understand why there are not other 12vdc power supplies out there rather than these computer ones.  It seems so inefficent to use these power supplies when your not using most of the outputs, just using the one 12v output.

Minor Point.  The PC power supplies also supply the 5v needed to run some of the circuitry on the hubs.  If I remember correctly, in the coop there was an option for additional parts if using a 12v only power supply.  The large ATX connector on a PC power supply is not just 12v.

Alan T

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2011, »
Here, I found this.  How to get rid of all those wires but also if you keeping looking there is how to combine them all together.  I think I will try this soon.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, by TheBanker »
Will

Offline urthegman

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, »
Banker, did you forget to attach something?  ???

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, »
oops, now i have to find it again

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, by TheBanker »
Will

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, »
if you do that with multiple rail power supplies, isn't it possible for one rail, to sink the stronger rail?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2011, »
That is a cool tip.  With good regulation in the ATX power supplies it is unlikely the different rails would be far enough apart in voltage to matter much, right? 
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."