Author Topic: Smart string shipping costs  (Read 11547 times)

Offline lightguy

Smart string shipping costs
« on: February 27, 2011, »
Am I doing something silly here the shipping costs are horrendous and more than the lights and quantity does not seam to pro rate either? Lightguy

Offline galgon

Re: Smart string shipping costs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, »
I was just typing up a post on the subject and you beat me to it.

Maybe I am just used to domestic shipping rates.  I would have thought that the first item would be expensive and it would drop down quickly from there.  However it stays expensive (although slightly less so) for each item you purchase.  For the rigid strips to ship the first one it is almost double the price of the strip.  If you buy the max of 20 the shipping cost is 100% of the purchase price.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, »
Just make up a list of the part number and how many you want and send it to him and he can take care of you. I think their site is stupid and I think it treats everything as a new order. But shipping from china is not cheap so be aware of that. I sent him a message but no one there tonight. Mine also did the same thing.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline egenoup

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, »
RJ,

I know you put a lot of time (and probably a bunch of money) into trying to get these in with a license to make these more afordable for all of us.  The shipping prices are ridiculous!    <md..

I have 20 controllers in the coop, but I am now reconsidering what I really want to do with this...  :(

Sorry to vent on you and it should not reflect as a lack of effort on your part.  Thanks for all you do and thanks to Bill for running the controller coop.

Shipping OUCH!

Charles S

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, »
I ordered some stuff in mid-December from him and emailed him with the multiple items that I wanted and he replied back with the total for the entire thing.  It was much less than utilizing the "shopping cart" on his site as it charged shipping for each different item. 

I can imagine with all of us trying to get our orders in that he will be overloaded with the requests, so give him time. 

I had looked at purchasing the same items from a supplier here in the US (that had imported them) and it was still cheaper to go through Ray and pay the international shipping charges with my order once he gave me an overall total.  The site doesn't do well when you're ordering multiple types of items together as one order.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, »
I just talked to him and he says wait two hours and reorder. He is working on the site to get it to see them as a single order better. But says he needs a few hours to get it changed.

RJ

Offline csf

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, »
If I wanted more then 20 of the rigid  boards should I contact him or place more then one order? The original plan was for 52 of them.. lol

Offline EasyGo

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, »
RJ or others that have been through ordering from Ray already -- what shipping method would you recommend?  I know some shippers require all sorts of customs brokerage fees, etc., so I didn't want to get into that.

Also, is there a preferred payment method?

Thanks,
Jon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, »
Can't talk to anything else but I normally get it DHL and pay the extra couple dollars over EMS cause EMS can be unbelievable slow and you never know where it's at or if it will come.

I pay paypal but I can't say whats best for everyone else.

RJ

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, »
It seems that it might be working correctly now.

If I select DHL on every item, it does seem to reduce/combine the shipping as your order grows.

It seems that the DHL shipping is approx. 20% of the order subtotal, does that sound right?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It seems that it might be working correctly now.

If I select DHL on every item, it does seem to reduce/combine the shipping as your order grows.

It seems that the DHL shipping is approx. 20% of the order subtotal, does that sound right?

Yes,

My previous orders have been in that area on the shipping in the past. I am afraid it is not cheap to ship around the world weither I do it for you in a coop or on your own. For the first time person ordering from there it will surprise you a little since we are so use to such cheap shipping here. I know when I send a package to Australia it always sets me back on the shipping since we send 6 express in the states for under $11 but it cost like $48 to send it there the same way and that is slow postal service.

DHL would be twice that I am sure.

RJ

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, »
And yet china companies like Deal Extreme can keep low prices and free shipping to the US so I wonder how they do it....
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, »
some places offer free shipping using the slow mail method.

I dont like it, b/c it gets scary close to when your payment goes through...  if you didnt get what you ordered, and that time passes (close to 30 days, i think) then they get their money, and you dont have many options to open a dispute with a merchant.

I've ordered from there and used the slow method. My item came with only hours left on their payment countdown.
Plus using this method, the tracking option isnt as often updated like here in the US.

my item said "leaving origin outward exchange" for almost a whole month, then finally changed to "out for delivery" after it already came in my local post office here in town" It's a big difference from the "package handled by post office A, package handled by post office B(5min down the road, 15min later)" that we're used to here in the states.

I'm kinda glad to only have a faster option here, as the smart strings i've been anticipating ever since i became a member here.  <;d
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline galgon

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, »
Anyone else having problems adding products to your cart?  I click the add to cart button and a window comes up saying "Adding a product to your Shopping Cart..." with a spinning "i am working on it" type thing.  But the thing keeps spinning and if I check my cart nothing is there.

- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, »
IF you are using IE 8 or 9, click on the page compatibility button (looks like a torn piece of paper) right after where you type the web address (www...) in.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!