Author Topic: Smart string shipping costs  (Read 11548 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Smart string shipping costs
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, »
I just want to second the recommendation to contact Ray for a combined shipping quote.

I used the online contact form to tell Ray exactly the items (put in links from the PM) and qty of each ... and indicated diylightanimation specs for these items (just to be sure).  He got me a quote back (overnight) with a custom link to buy and saved some on shipping.  

It appears the larger your order, the more you might save on shipping.  A few members with $2000+ orders have reduced shipping to around 10-11% of subtotal ... and mine being a smaller order was 16% ... but better than the 21% I had in my shopping cart.  Used DHL on everything.  

It appears for those order a lot of smart strings and/or rigid strips ... your really would want to get a quote like this.

He usually just puts a image of one of the items into your custom page, and marks it as a free shipping item, but the shipping just gets itemized into the subtotal, so it appears your buying one combined item with free shipping.

I have also found that sometimes your invoice has pictures (of all items) and sometimes does not.  I'm just a little worried, since his invoice doesn't show enough detail to verify whats what on my order, so I'm asking him to add more detail.  Not sure why mine was more abbreviated than others, but its just not making me secure in pushing the order button till its clear.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fbinthesouth

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, »
Hate to repeat this if it has been answered elsewhere- but are we to expect customs tariffs after landing? Many things I have ordered from China before came with a 30 day later surprise bill for customs....

RW

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, »
Forward air told me it only applys to orders over $2000 invoice not including shipping. At least when I was working on trying to put the coop together.  I have never had to pay additional so I am not sure what you are buying.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, »
Well after reading this (maybe I should of waited for the caffeine to kick in) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am still confused. I see the $2000 and $200 marks. I see if using a international post office or courier shipping, also personal vs commercial

Confusing :)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, »
Rick,
Sounds like after reading that, keep your orders under 2k and keep any company names off the shipping label so they are not mistaken as commercial use.  As long as no other restriction get caught, hopefully no one will have any issues getting our stuff from Ray.
Chris

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, »
I am guessing that I should not see any extra costs. My Material total is $176.85

But who know until it arrives and gets past the invoice time frame

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, »
Rick
I ordered a few orders from Ray last year under $500 each.  Did not have any issues, but that was then and this is now.   :)

hopefully no one has any issues.   We are all  keeping our fingers crossed.
Chris

Offline tbone321

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, »
Rick,
Sounds like after reading that, keep your orders under 2k and keep any company names off the shipping label so they are not mistaken as commercial use.  As long as no other restriction get caught, hopefully no one will have any issues getting our stuff from Ray.

That's not how I read it.  Rick should be fine under $200 but there is still a chance.  Being under $2000 means that it can be sent in as informal but that doesn't exclude it from possible tarrifs.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, »
I'm checking with my friend who is a customs broker.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline dmoore

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, »
I am guessing that I should not see any extra costs. My Material total is $176.85

But who know until it arrives and gets past the invoice time frame

Usually this isn't a problem since Ray usually puts on a "modified" invoice that lists the items as less than you paid so you don't end up paying duties.

Offline fbinthesouth

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, »
Wow dmoore. So Ray is defrauding them-
Guess I will just try to figure out how much it is in case I get hit with it and see if it does not run the price out.
I have 62 strings of 75. Might get him to re-quote it and break it out smaller to see that it might avoid fees.
I just received a $1800 order from China last month and received a customs bill in the mail last week from the shipper for almost $250. It was jewelry.
Not trying to cause concern for anyone just wanting to know what the experience was and whether it was an item SUBJECT TO CUSTOMS.
RW

Offline ptone

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, »
Just want to check in with others, did anyone else get a message from Ray asking if he could get an extension in processing the order because the production of the lights was not yet complete?

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline egenoup

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2011, »
Got one yesterday... I extended the 5 days...

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2011, »
Its up to you

If you don't extend it then your order will be canceled

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline RickeyS

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, »
Yea, extended mine 5 days also
Rick