Author Topic: How Long are the Smart Strings  (Read 3996 times)

Offline pete peters

How Long are the Smart Strings
« on: February 28, 2011, »
What is the length of the 25 node?
The 50 node?
The 75 node?
The 100 node?
The 128 node?

Is the spacing 3.5 inches center to center?

Thanks

Pete

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: How Long are the Smart Strings
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, »
Yes,

The should be close to 3.5" node to node with approximately 2 ft of lead wire on the input end for you to connect up your Smart String Controller to it. You can cut the lead to what ever you want. As an example the 128 node I was showing in the videos was just a little short of 40 ft long.

And I used 60 nodes to do my 20 ft mega tree with it not reaching the ground (maybe 2 ft off) so it looks like a tree.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline pete peters

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, »
Thanks, RJ

That helps!!

Pete

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, »
So Lets see if I got the math right. The numbers do not count the lead wire at the start of the string.
25 node = 7.29 feet
50 node = 14.58 feet
75 node = 21.875
100 node = 29.16

Lets say I have a string of nodes and it is to long for the window I want to place them in can I cut off the extra nodes.

What about buying a 100 node string then cutting it in half so I have to 50 node strings will that work?

Looking at the links listed in the coop email, all the different LED products can be used with RJ's controllers and hubs right?

One of the links was for 100M of wire, could I connect the controller closer to the hub then to the light string? I was thinking that way I could bring the controller inside after New Years and then leave the light strings hooked to the windows.

There were 3 pin connectors listed in a 10 pack. I thought everything was RJ45 plugs?

Do I still need to buy a programmer tool to program the light string channel numbers so each node know what channel it is on?

Thanks for your help.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, »
Lets say I have a string of nodes and it is to long for the window I want to place them in can I cut off the extra nodes.
Yes

What about buying a 100 node string then cutting it in half so I have to 50 node strings will that work?
Yes, each will need it's own SSC though.

Looking at the links listed in the coop email, all the different LED products can be used with RJ's controllers and hubs right?
Yes, all of the items in the coop mail.

One of the links was for 100M of wire, could I connect the controller closer to the hub then to the light string?
RJ had recommended that from the SSC to the first node, shouldn't be longer that 6ft.

There were 3 pin connectors listed in a 10 pack. I thought everything was RJ45 plugs?
I believe they were for some the plastic rectangles to use an on board connector? (i think)

Do I still need to buy a programmer tool to program the light string channel numbers so each node know what channel it is on?
I believe RJ had a utility in the video that programmed the light channels (and direction)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, »
lightingnut,

I think you are confused on the wire.

From the dongle to the hub to the controller is all cat5 with rj-45 connectors

From the controller to the lights is 3 wire ribbon cable (wire is soldered to the controller and also to each node)

the ridge strips have connectors on them that is what you need to connect ridge to ridge to make them longer.

hope that helps

Rick R.

P.S.
You will need a pickit programmer to load the firmware on the pic (and any updates to the firmware later). Once that is there you will use RJ's SS Config program to tell the SSC how many nodes, what direction, what mode and No the SS Config program is not available yet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, »
Rick,

I know that 3-core connectors were for the rigid strips (which come with 3-core connectors on them)  ... but, could we also use the 3-core connectors just to make hooking up still easier?

I was thinking of putting 3-4 modules into display items  (like rigid strips, but DIY items) ... and having these quick 3-core connectors between them ... to make storage, handing, replacement (maintenance) easier.  That should be ok, right?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, »
lightingnut, the nodes don't have channel numbers assigned to them.  They typically take the data coming to them and all assume they are the first node (or next in line) ... and use the leading edge RGB data for itself, then passes the rest of the data on to the next node.  So they take on the order that they reside physically (first, second, third, etc.) along the string.

Like Rick said, you can flash the smart string using RJ' utility to act like a 3-channel (RGB), 128-channel (RGB) or 131-channel (RGB) hybrid string., where hybrid is both string mode (for 3 channels) and node mode (channels 4-131) ... and RJ has a video on doing that which will make it clear how that will be done.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, »
Like Rick said, you can flash the smart string using RJ' utility to act like a 2-channel (RGB), 128-channel (RGB) or 130-channel (RGB) hybrid string., where hybrid is both string mode (for two channels) and node mode (channels 3-130) ... and RJ has a video on doing that which will make it clear how that will be done.

RGB uses 3 channels not 2.  Any lenght (within limits) configured in string mode will use 3 channels.  If the string is configured in node mode the channels used to control it will be # of nodes X 3 and in hybrid mode the number of channels needed will be # of nodes X 3 + 3.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, »
Rick,

I know that 3-core connectors were for the rigid strips (which come with 3-core connectors on them)  ... but, could we also use the 3-core connectors just to make hooking up still easier?

I was thinking of putting 3-4 modules into display items  (like rigid strips, but DIY items) ... and having these quick 3-core connectors between them ... to make storage, handing, replacement (maintenance) easier.  That should be ok, right?

Sure, it will work fine if that is what you want to do

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, »
I know that the first node is channel one and the next is 2 and so on. I guess I was not clear on what I was asking about setting the start address for a string.

So I need a Pickit programmer to set the start address. Then I can use RJ's tool to set how I want the string to act. (3 channel RGB for the whole string and so on.)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, »
I would say that it would be the opposite.  You would need to flash the pic for the mode of operation and use the tool to set the start address for the string.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, »
Ok,

The SS Config program does the following:
1 - Sets the start address of the Controller
2 - Sets the mode of the Controller
3 - Sets the number of nodes attached to the controller
4 - Sets the direction - forward or reverse

See the video below and around 2:47 RJ talks about the features of the PC program and then demo how it works

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, »
Thanks for clarifying that further Rick.

And when your using the (yet to be released) SS Config program ... you will have the
following things hooked up:

SS CONFIG SOFTWARE  ---running on---> COMPUTER ---usb---> LYNX DONGLE ---rj45---> SS HUB ---rj45---> SS Controller ---3pin wire---> Smart String (your programming)

And in the video that Rick linked to, RJ shows it being done.  There is a jumper you set to toggle the string into programming mode, and then the software programs it the
way you configure it.  Then you remove the jumper and unplug the SS from the hub, then plug it back it (reboot the string).

Whereas the Pickit2 (or 3) is for programming (firmware) into PIC chips ... for the various hardware devices you might build.
You do that once for each device you have built.  Sometimes you do it again if you want to update the firmware.
That of that being the part where you download the brains into the device (the brains of the hardware).

Most of the newer DIY devices have a PIC chip that is programmed by connecting the Pickit to the ISPF connection
(or you can put the PIC chip into the correct PIC programmer socket, program the PIC, then insert the PIC into the hardware).

So for example, you would use the PIckit to program the PIC chip on the Lynx Dongle.

If that Dongle is being used to connect to a Smart String Hub, then you'd flash it
with the Pixelnet Firmware instead of the normal Lynx Dongle firmware.

Thats the kind of thing your doing with the pickit ... programming firmware onto
PIC (programmable interface chips) ... so not it should make sense the difference between
programming smart strings (with the SS Config software) vs. programming PICs with firmware using the Pickit.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, »
Ok,

The SS Config program does the following:
1 - Sets the start address of the Controller
2 - Sets the mode of the Controller
3 - Sets the number of nodes attached to the controller
4 - Sets the direction - forward or reverse

See the video below and around 2:47 RJ talks about the features of the PC program and then demo how it works

Cheers

Rick R.

And #5 - sets the order of the colors of the items attached   RGB,BGR, ...........

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying