Author Topic: SSC placement  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Corey872

SSC placement
« on: February 28, 2011, »
Just planning ahead for some wiring.  I know every demo - and several comments - place the SSC in a PVC pipe hanging a few inches off the end of the string.  If all the power is going through the cat5 anyway, is there any issue with putting the SSC in a safe/dry/out of site location along with the hub, power supply, etc, then putting the long length of cat5 between the SSC and the string?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: SSC placement
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, »
The strings now come with almost 2' (23.62 inches) of lead wire. So that should help. RJ had the company add the extra wire to make it easier on us.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, »
There is not cat5 from the SSC to the lights. It is the three conductor wire. The SSC has to stay with in a few feet of the first node(led). 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Corey872

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, »
Ah - good enough then - thanks for the quick replies.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, »
The SSC has to stay with in a few feet of the first node(led). 

RJ
How far can the first node be from the SSC? Is there a maximum distance between nodes?

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, »
Yes limit it to a few feet and you will be fine. I would not go more than 6 feet to be on the safe side.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, »
RJ-
Is the distance from the SSC to the first node more 'important' to be a short distance (6' as you just said) than the distance between the other nodes?   A 128 node string is 40' long.  You tested that for number of nodes and distance for current travel along the whole string.  One would think if you had a 60 node string, you could then have 20' of cable from the ssc to the first node - correct?
I think keeping the leading pigtail short makes more sense but just wanted to ask in case I wanted to split a string up with a blank section of cable between groups of nodes.

-Mark

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, »
if a shorter distance from SSC to 1st node is reccomended, it sounds like it might have to do with keeping the signal strong to that first chip in the node?

I figure that i'm already running Cat5 to my SSC, so why not keep my SSC near the 1st node.

as far as adding a gap in the middle (like if i wanted to go from window to window) i'm not sure about adding extra wire to the 128 mode string, but i don't think there should be an issue with adding extra wire, say in the middle of the other strings.

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, »
If the issue is in the signal and I believe that it is, then adding long lengths of wire anywhere in the string including the middle could be an issue.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, »
Each node is receiving and retransmitting the signal, right?  I think you don't want any great distance between nodes.  I'm guessing a few feet or less might be ok, but I wouldn't be putting a 10-20' gap between nodes, at least without testing it out first.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]