Author Topic: regular 4 wire DMX controllers work with 3 wire SS RGB modules?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Ok,

I'm also working on another project which is using an RF RGB controller and some RGB modules.  I can either use some SS modules (rectangular, lets say) or buy some 4 wire RGB modules for just this.

Can a 4 wire controller control these 3-wire SS modules ? 

I'm just wondering if a traditional 4 wire dmx controller can work with these 3 wire modules or not.

I'm inclined to think not.

And I'm also thinking that a SS controller woudl not work with 4 wire RGB modules either.

Sorry if this is as dumb as is sounds, just wanted to check.

Thx in advance.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

No.
The pixel nodes use a different protocol for the data transfer.
The ssc converts pixelnet starting at the assigned address.
Pixelnet is 1mbs
The pixels use either 400 kbs or 800 kbs
Dmx i can't remember, but it is much slower...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline dmoore

I think there maybe some confusion when you say "4 wire" RGB.  There are RGB modules - pixel and basic that both use four wires.  For a pixel module it would be:

+ Positive
- Negative
Data
Clock

For a basic module it would be (common anode):

+ Positive
- Negative Red
- Negative Green
- Negative Blue

I believe the controllers you are referring to (from an ACL discussion about dancing heads?) are basic RGB controllers.  So, you would use just basic RGB modules – not pixels.  I’d review the RGB Basics videos for more information on the differences between RGB pixels and basic RGB devices.