Author Topic: Splicing Strings  (Read 2266 times)

Offline mitch09

Splicing Strings
« on: March 02, 2011, »
A quick question about the smart strings. If I buy 50 node strings but only need 36 nodes to outline each of my windows (3) , Can I then cut the 50 node string to 36 and splice the remaining 14 node strings together to make a new string of 42 nodes?

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline tbone321

Re: Splicing Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, »
Yes you can.  This is the reason why the strings are only offered in these few lengths.  You buy the lengths closest to what you need and then cut and splice to get to the exact length(s) needed.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, »
Ryan,
You can either splice them together to make a 42 node string or you can send them to me.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, »
Thought so, I was just making sure before I made my order.

Ryan

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, »
if you wanted, you could cut off one node and wire it to a SSC. (even though it's hard to see why one would want to...   or, you can take a 25 node string, cut 5 off another and add to this one, to make it a 30 node string.   you can make any integer between 1 and 128 number of nodes for a string.   ;D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, »
If I have missed it I apologize in advance, but what is the best way to splice the strings together?  I assume that is what the 3 Conductor Sockets are for but it looks like they have a pretty long pigtail on them so are the pigtails soldered to the string cable and then wrapped in tape?  If that is the case, then it would seem the connectors are not needed as just soldering strings together would have the same type of joint.  Hope to find out before I place my order so I'll know how many (if any) connectors to buy.

TIA,
-Keith

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, »
There is no need for the connectors.  I would solder and shrink wrap the connections.  It would be much stronger, neater, and much more resistant to corrosion.  Connectors are bulky, expensive, and subject to being pulled apart.  I was thinking about using them to connect the string to the SSC but since many of my strings will be different length's putting a connector on them could lead to more trouble than advantage.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, »
Slightly OT...  Will all nodes need be spaced no more than 3' apart?  Thanks!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, »
While you probably could space them a little farther than 3' apart, RJ has made itknown that there are issues spacing the nodes to far apart or to far away from the controller.  Some may be signal related and others may be related to current over long thin wires.  Also remember that the smart strings are already spaced like that and making them wider will require a lot of work cutting cutting, adding, and splicing which adds up to a lot of $$$$$ and time.

Offline rm357

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, »
If I can get away with 5 ft., my plan is to have 20 nodes per mini tree with 6 trees on one ssc. If 5 ft is too Far? Good thing I ordered extra sscs...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, »
I guess that my question is why would you want to do that???  The SSC's are so inexpensive that I personally can't see any value in doing it that way.  What I do see is single point of failure that could shut down all of your trees.  I guess that my question on this would be what exactly do you mean by 5 feet.  Are you talking 5 feet from the controller to the string or are you talking about 5 feet between trees?  RJ suggested that the lead from the SSC to the first node be 6 feet or less so 5 feet there should be fine but if you are talkig about putting 5+ foot lenghts of cable every 20 nodes on a single string, I have no idea.  The great thing about DIY is that you can try it if you want but if it doesn't work then you are pretty much on your own in that case. 

Offline ptone

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, »
Another point to remember when splicing these is that they are directional/polarized. So you have to keep track which set of wires from the node connect to the ssc.
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, »
4 feet between the trees, 6" from bottom limb of tree to ground x 2 = 5 feet.
I also plan to put a connector between the trees to make setup easy. (the "input" for each tree will have the extension with the "output" connector being right after the last node in a given tree)

Why do that?
 It only requires two 50 foot runs of Cat5 across the yard to cover all 12 trees  :)
 It also removes all hazardous voltages from the "first line" of lighting...

The other options are:
- 12 runs - one per tree
- 120v AC power run + one Cat5 + one hub + 12 shorter Cat5 runs.

If I can only get away with 3 feet between nodes, I may just put a stray pixel between each tree to regenerate the signal...

RM
Robert

Offline rm357

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, »
Also I forgot to add - output connectors are always female, input connectors are always male - that avoids having exposed powered pins in a connector. The first tree in each set of 6 would have a hard wired SSC.
Robert