Author Topic: Rectangle node spacing  (Read 2304 times)

Offline abrianbaker

Rectangle node spacing
« on: March 03, 2011, »
Forgive me if this has been ask but I am wanting to make several of the "north poles" that are shown elsewhere in this forum and have 1 rectangle node in each.  Can these be run off 1 ssc and if so can they be spaced with 12 ft of wire between each or do i need a ssc for each?  Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, by abrianbaker »
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline tbone321

Re: Rectangle node spacing
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, »
You could try it but RJ says to keep the controller within 6 feet of the first node on the smart strings.  The rectangular nodes may use a different chip and may allow for more spacing/
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, »
So if the controller was put in the first "north pole" with the first light then would it be ok to run the other ones 12 wire feet apart?
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, »
I would put the SS Controller in the first pole, then try it at various spacings and see what works best.  Try you ideal length your wanting.  If it doesn't work, you will need to shorten it up.

Is seems like 1 module is not much per pole at all.  You might want 2-4 per, but thats more cost.  If you figure that a a smart string does 128 nodes for almost 40' ... it just depends how much voltage and signal loss occurs between modules and how important inline modules are for the re-transmit of the data along the way.

I think if you only had 3 poles and embed the SS controller in the first one, your really only going 24' total, which seems reasonable unless the data signal gets lost on a 12' run.  I'm doing something similar but with shorter wire lengths between modules and more like 3-4 modules per display item. 

You could use those SS  coop 3 core quick connectors to try different lengths and make setup easier for each pole.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, »
So if the controller was put in the first "north pole" with the first light then would it be ok to run the other ones 12 wire feet apart?

12 feet may really be pushing it.  Remember that there is only one wire sending the control signal to the units which makes it much more susceptible to noise and interference then the two wire method used from the dongle.  The other two wires are power and ground and will also introduce their own level of noise to the signal wire and the longer the run, the greater the noise level.  This noise if strong enough can either block the control signal or be interpreted as the control signal which either way, can lead to some undesirable effects.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, »
The only way to know for sure is to try it. If it works, great. If not, go to plan B.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, »
Is there any harm in trying some module spacing which is too great?  I mean, it might not work (might not be controllable, might not light up, might be faded a bit)

I was thinking of using those 3 core quick connects and each display item would begin and end with one (like the Rigid strips come with) ... and you could just try some various lengths of 3wire ribbon in between.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, »
signal cables can be tricky...

pushing a parallel port signal past it's recommended distance will cause the circuit to push the signal harder.  same with a video connection.  If the Signal generating chip in SSC senses there is a connection then it might be a possible for the chip to burn out.

EDIT: I had originally said 485 chip, I'm building 5 SSR4's right now, so my chip numbers are floating around in my head...   ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, »
If you go to far the signal just degrades and it gets flaky or stops working no damage. but if try to make long cables with wide spaced nodes then the voltage loss on the cable becomes an issue.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, »
Hey everyone thanks for the feedback!  When all the parts come in I will give all the suggestions a try.  Never thought about putting several nodes per pole might make the globe brighter.  I am going to prob order 40 rectangles to be on the safe side.

;D
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, »
I think you'll find more than one module will be nicer looking and will allow you to distribute the light better.

Also, dmoore has sited that the RGB modules have a failure/DOA rate of 5% (perhaps more) ... so order extras accordingly.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, »
I'm not seeing how that thread is the same topic, but interesting just as well.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, »
it's a different item being used, or at least the same item used in a different way...  we wont KNOW about the SSC's until put into use and tried.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, »
I think this is getting back to other users also have opinions on RGB also and no one is really the expert on how you should do it except for you yourself even if they think so. Do it the way you are happy with it and enjoy it.

I also do think the answer to a question should be about what was asked and not what a users wants to post.

RJ   
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying