Author Topic: Mega tree using GE strings  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Mega tree using GE strings
« on: March 04, 2011, »
I found the following video on YouTube showing GE strings and a mega tree.  Amazing work.  I can't image what the programming must look like.   

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I can't wait to get my Smart Strings in! 

Offline tbone321

Re: Mega tree using GE strings
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, »
The tree is really cool but it uses a lot of nodes.  That would be $$$$$.  The only problem that I saw with it was that the star wa way to small for the size of the tree.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Lucas

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, »
It is only 500 nodes  ;D

You could do that with 4 smart strings.

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, »
If anyone is interested. Here is a link to a hack for the GE lights. I think this is a bit expensive at $1 per node.

I'll  stick with Smart Strings and 8mm LED strings.  Much more cost effective and just as many if not more possibilities.

Greg

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, »
No, you actually could not.  At least not without a huge amount of work, time, and money.  If you look at the tree, you will see that his strings have 16 lights each.  If you divide that into 500 you get 31 with a remainder of 4 or 30 with a remainder of 20.  I would suspect that he has 30 strings of 16 with the remaining 20 being used for the star because even from the distant picture you can see that there are more than 4 lights on the star.  

Now here is where the problem is.  If the smartstring nodes that we will be using are 3.5 inches center to center, then a string of 16 nodes would only be 56 inches long.  Considering that the strings will be on an angle would max out the tree height at around 52 inches tall (not including the star).  A 5 foot tall tree (including the star) is not much of a megatree.  Looking at the vid, I would say that his lights are around 8 to 12 inches apart on the string making the string lengths anywhere from 10 to 16 feet long which is well within the megatree range.  

If you wanted to make a megatree using 12 foot smartstrings and keep that string count of 30 then each string would have 41 nodes which would total out to 1230 and this once again does not include the star.  If you wanted to do it with 500 nodes on smartstring, you would have to increase the distance between the nodes and that's 6 connections and 6 inches or more of wire between each node.  That would be 2880 connections and 240 or more feet of wire.  Add in the time, solder, and shrink tubing and as I said, $$$$$$$.  
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dmoore

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, »
I think this maybe the information you are looking for:

Photos of the tree during the day are attached.

This is 10 strings of 50 (16x30=480).  You'll notice that the strings go up, then down, then up again.

The E680 controller by Jim St John currently runs these GE pixels. 

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, »
WOW!!!!..........................   That is truly "Do-It-Yourself".

Ron

My 2010 Videos

Offline Lucas

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, »
tbone123, I said that you could, not that you would want to.  :o

But if you did want to make a tree like that one above with smart strings you could do it the hard way as you said, with a whole lot of soldering/joins. Or the easy way, looking at the tree most of the nodes are much closer than 10" if you run the strings around the tree...

Then again I was just pointing out that 500 nodes is quite an achievable number of nodes with smart strings. You could achive a similar, but higher resolution & node, tree with smart strings at the same cost spent on the GE strings tree.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, by Lucas »