Author Topic: Splicing & Water Proofing Smart Strings ...  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Dude_From_WA

I have read the SS documentation, watched the videos, and poured over all of the posts about SS I could find.  From these sources I understand that (subject to the length limitations) one could break apart and recombine the SS nodes into a longer string. (To replace a defective node, etc.)

My question is about the pre-cut strings from Ray's store.  I understand there is a leader on the end of the string for the controller.  What about the other end of the string?  Is there a small leader at this end also?  Put another way, can I combine two 25-node strings to make a 50 node string or would I have to sacrifice the last node on the first string to expose the leader necessary to splice in the second string?  I am thinking of a small initial purchase of shorter strings and I am wondering if there will be a penalty to pay if I later decide that I want to combine the shorter strings into fewer longer strings.

On another topic.  Did I read somewhere that the water proofing step is no longer required due to a change in the encapsulation process?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Splicing & Water Proofing Smart Strings ...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, »
There will be the normal lenght that is between the nodes on the other end so you can add on without giving up a node.

Make sure you order a few extra nodes as if one failed you want one to replace it with.

We are not sure onthe waterproofing yet. It seems it will not based on the low % of nodes water got in during my extended test in harsh weather. With the void being completely sealed in the back on the newer molds. But only testing will say for sure.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, »
When a node fails, Does every node behind the one with the failure also go out or just the failed one? Also do all color fail at the same time or just 1 color? I am just preparing for troubleshooting just in case.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, »
It can be any or all of the above.  These nodes are assemblies and any part on them is subject to failure.  If it is just an LED, then you will just lose a color, if multiple LED's fail, then you would lose multiple colors or the entire node could go dark.  If a chip or wire fails, then the string at or beyond that node can go dark.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, »
Thanks kinda what I figured. At least it sounds like the problem would start with the defective node instead of turning off the entire string unless the problem was the 1st node. I hate regular led strings where 1 led anywhere in the string can turn off the entire string making it hard to troublesoot.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, »
your splice can start anywhere from the end of the previous node, all the way to the beginning of the next node. so for trouble shooting, look everywhere in between from the node before to the node after a node that's malfunctioning.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!