Author Topic: Ethernet to 5-Pin DMX Question  (Read 2498 times)

Offline thshadow

Ethernet to 5-Pin DMX Question
« on: March 08, 2011, »
Okay this may sound really weird but I was wondering if anyone knows if you can make a ethernet to 5-pin DMX cable.. what the pin layout would be.. Reason I ask if I happen to get given some old DJ lighting stuff and it seems to use DMX cable but was thinking if you could make a ethernet to 5 pin DMX cable it might work with stuff... and that opens more possibilities if I can reuse "free" stuff that I have lying around with my show in some way... Has anyone tried this? Is this even feasible or possible or do I just have a case of wishful thinking....

-Mike  ???

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
Re: Ethernet to 5-Pin DMX Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, »
Is done all the time. You may find this information in the WIKI helpfull

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline thshadow

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, »
That is awesome.. Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for and hoping for; now I can turn the junk in the garage into something useful again.

- Mike

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, »
Just remember that if you're using your equipment for "DJ'ing" then you cant use the Lynx equipment for commercial purposes"
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline thshadow

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, »
Uff no worries there... If only I had the time and the rhythm for that LOL.... Actually someone gave the stuff to me when they got out of DJ'ing and thought I could find something to do with it because of my light display... My wife has been pressuring me to take it to the dumpster but I was thinking wouldn't it be cool to do a Santa Disco Ball.. or well a Disco ball with a Santa on it and some cool elves.. for an after christmas show between Christmas and New Years to adapt the theme from Santa and the elves getting ready for Christmas to a after the work was over holiday party at the north pole... show to run till New Years...  Anyway I liked the idea.. my wife umm maybe not so much ;)  so there was no way I was going to get the OK to buy something to add to the old stuff and I wasn't going to run a separate setup for just a disco ball, and two colored light thingamajigs. However if I can tie this in... hello 70's Santa Disco Ball... and Boogie Nights at the North Pole... limited engagement only from 25th -2nd... Now if I can just convince her to help make the elves costumes we will be ready to boogie down.. well assuming the stuff still works.. guess I should dig it out, dust it off, and see...

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, »
if you ever decide to throw it out, it might go well with my future planned rgb disco floor.  (go well in my basement, not go well in the dumpster)   LOL

Offline gforman

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, »
You could always hang and spin the Mirror Ball in the middle of a Mega Tree for interesting results.
 8)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, »
i'm thinking on an idea for that...  i'll post more when i get further along.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, »
Just to clarify things, you are looking for a cable that goes from a 5-pin XLR to an RJ45.   Though we usually make them from repurposed cat-5 ethernet cables, it really has nothing to do with ethernet.

If you really want to go from ethernet to DMX, you would need some sort of gateway (ARTNet, E1.31, or similar)
/mike