Author Topic: Smart Strings and Light Curves....  (Read 1719 times)

Offline tng5737

Smart Strings and Light Curves....
« on: March 08, 2011, »
RJ, came up with the idea of adding light curves to LE because LED string do not dim the same as incans.   However, won't the Smart Strings suffer from the same issue?   I understand that the SS string will probably be used as "specialty" items in our displays - at least initially, but as the cost come down one might consider replacing their current LED strings with pixelnet devices.  This means that we will probably need the LE technology in these devices (depending on their use).   However, this time with each node we have 3 curves to worry about and worse yet each curve will probably need to be independent since  each R,G,B does not have the same intensities.
 Just a random thought I had!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline tbone321

Re: Smart Strings and Light Curves....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, »
I would say that RJ has already taken this into account when be wrote the firmware for the smart string controller.  These are DC controllers specifically designed for LED control and I'm sure that RJ took the dimming curve of LED's into account when he created them and wrote the firmware just like he did with the Athers.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tng5737

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, »
Do you know if the color of the RGB SS will change hue when doing a "Ramp-down" or fade-out?   That could be rather tricky.  Has anyone played with these SS devices in that manner?

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, »
Not sure what you are getting at. But if you think you are going to get monitor type accuracy from a RGB LED, I think you might be a bit off or expecting too much.  For the software you are going to control the R, the G, and B for the most part.  This is how most of the major SW blends in general.  They assume that the R,G,B and pure enough that color mixing is accurate enough for "CHRISTMAS LIGHT DISPLAYS".  I think going for hue corretion might "fun", but i'm not sure if that would really provide a good use of RJ's time to the mass of DLA users.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, »
I wasn't suggesting anything like you are saying!  I was merely wondering what would happen if you set a node to say a particular color like purple and you tried to fade it - given that the R,G,B are not linear  or even follow the same curves if as you fade down that the node might change color somewhat if so how significant a color shift it might be.   Please do NOT read anything more into this than that simple question.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you know if the color of the RGB SS will change hue when doing a "Ramp-down" or fade-out?   That could be rather tricky.  Has anyone played with these SS devices in that manner?

Kinda of hard to say. Since only RJ has working SS controllers. You could ask the other folks how that works using different hardware

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, »
you would have a different color.

technically you can reproduce any of the 16.5mil colors available (in theory)
go to a color calculator to experiment with how changing values would affect your output
one i found with a quick search
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, »
A lot will depend on which software you are using. 

Some of the developers have incorporated RGB features that let you treat R, G, & B as a single channel rather than three separate channels and will let you fade between colors and/or fade up or down.  If using a grid layout software (ie Vixen 2.1) then you would have to experiment with your fades to get the right "ramp" to keep the color consistent throughout the fade in or fade out.  The hardware will only do what the software tells it to.

Just MHO. 

Alan T