Author Topic: Another First Build Completed But With A Question  (Read 2907 times)

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
I got my boards and cases yesterday and successfully (I hope) built my first Lynx dongle. Thanks to RJ, Alan, and everyone else! I even used my PICKit 3 for the first time and successfully programmed the PIC. However, I have a question that will probably make me look like the biggest idiot on this board. How do you install the DMX drivers? I downloaded the drivers from the FTDI site. (I am using Windows 7, 64 bit, with an Intel quad core processor). The file I downloaded is named "CDM20812.zip" which is the one for my hardware and software configuration. I hate to admit this, but I can't figure out how to install the drivers from this file before connecting the dongle (as the instructions on this site state). There is no .exe file to run to set up and install the drivers. So I went ahead and connected the dongle (both the green and red LEds came on - I assume that is a good thing) and Windows did not install a driver (of course). In Device Manager I tried to install the drivers (after unziping the driver files). No matter which driver directory I chose, Windows would not recognize the drivers. What am I doing wrong? I have never run into this problem before. <pop..
Jim Wright

Offline memphislights

Re: Another First Build Completed But With A Question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, »
try right clicking on each .inf file and select install.

ok, scratch that.  I just got a message about it not supprting that method of installation...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, by memphislights »
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

Instructions from their site, if needed:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, »
Thanks. I had already found the instructions and tried to follow them, but I can't seem to get anything to work on the driver installation.

An Update! All is working fine now. I uninstalled the device and then connected it again. Windows actually found the correct drivers and installed them automatically. And Ron's little test program found it with no problem. Thanks again to everyone. Now all I need is some blinky flashy to test it with. All I have right now are LOR controllers. I guess that I will just have to wait patiently.  <pop..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, by JimWright »
Jim Wright

Offline memphislights

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, »
If you have some LOR controllers, they are DMX capable if the firmware is at v4.20 or better.
You will also need a "crossover" cable or adapter to get them to talk with the Lynx dongle.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, »
Just a thought but in your original post you stated it was a .zip file.  Did you "unzip" the files?  I usually tell winzip or other zip utility to "unzip" or extract to a folder on my desktop then all the files are in one easy to find location.  If you did unzip then I'm out of ideas as I'm not using Windows 7 yet.

Alan T

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, »
Thanks for the thought. Yes. I did unzip the files before I tried to use them. Also Thanks for the other posts. I think I will try to connect one of my LOR controllers.
Jim Wright