Author Topic: Powering up/Testing the ATX power supply  (Read 1783 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Powering up/Testing the ATX power supply
« on: March 11, 2011, »
I just got the ATX power supply for the SS Hub.  The Corsair 750TX 60A supply.

I know that normally something on the ATX computer motherboard and/or case signals the supply to turn on / off.

My questions are:

(1) How does a smart string hub power on/off the ATX power supply?

(2) Can/should the power supply be turned off when the show it no longer running  If so, how is the preferred method for tuning it on/off ?  I had considered putting it on a cheap digital A/C timer like the one I use for my FM transmitter.

(3) Can I test the power supply without having a SS Hub?  Yes, I know I could hook it up to my computer tower, but I can't think if any other way.  I tried plugging it in (with nothing attached) and as expected, it doesn't power up.

Thx in advance.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Powering up/Testing the ATX power supply
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, »
The hub will automatically turn on the psu.
a timer would work.
They sell power supply testers at newegg and tigerdirect. Mostly for less than $20.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, »
ATX power supplies are turned on by jumpering *PS_ON (pin 14, usually a green wire) to GND (pin 15, usually a black wire).  A small scrap of wire or bent paper clip stuck into the connector will work.

Some supplies may need a minimum load on the 12V lines to properly regulate.  You can use a suitable power resistor or car light bulb for this.
/mike

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, »
the nice thing about the tester, is that it is easy to use, and can test the multiple voltages at once, to give you an idea if something's wrong... 

i.e.  yeah, it turns on, and 12v is fine, but maybe one of the other voltages is off (like +5v)
plus, you don't have to remember which pins do what, or have a mistake when you do insert a pin in the wrong hole.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Some supplies may need a minimum load on the 12V lines to properly regulate.  You can use a suitable power resistor or car light bulb for this.
/mike

An old hard drive does a great job of loading the 12V if you have one around.  A bonus is that it already has the right connector to attach the power lead directly without trying to kludge in something like a light bulb.
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."