Hardware > Bobcat DMX Servo Controller

Beta-DMX Servo Controller Project (See first post for specs and features)

<< < (2/36) > >>

dlhoppe:
Bob, 

Endpoint adjustments can (and should be) done via mechanical linkage using the servo horns. That's why the horns have multiple holes on each arm and most servos come with an assortment of different sized horns. Computerized end-point control is certainly more convenient, but  people mistakenly rely too much on the computer settings and don't think about the mechanical ratios required to get maximum performance from a servo. Remember, the more you limit travel using mechanical linkages, the more torque you get and the less stress is placed on the servo. Not to mention lower power consumption. It's clearly better for the servo. Set your "gear ratio" so that full travel (min to max) does not exceed the range of the driven item. With DMX, you can then use min and max dimmer values to limit futher. All that assumes that you've chosen the correct servo for the job in the first place.

Mike,
That would be great if you could help out. Let's see what the admins and RJ think of this idea and then we'll go from there in terms of design criteria and features. I would prefer to keep things simple and deliver it in a timely fashion. Although I'd be happy to see someone else step up and build something more elaborate and robust if that's the direction this needs to go.

Dave

jess_her:
Dave,

Yes I think this would add alot to the shows, Look out Disney.  ;D

Jess

paul58:
Interested also.

D56VillageNut:
Would be very cool to have our own DLA version.  I'd be interested.

Thanks

Alan T

tennhillbilly:
I would be intersted also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version