Author Topic: Beta-DMX Servo Controller Project (See first post for specs and features)  (Read 68346 times)

Offline lightsup

Re: Lynx DMX Servo Controller Project
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2011, »
nice can hardly wait to get one. I have 6 servos from an RC plane that I had 25 years ago and been saving them for a reason I guess and here we go dmx servo controlled project now. Keep up the good work Dave.
Just do it.

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
nice can hardly wait to get one. I have 6 servos from an RC plane that I had 25 years ago and been saving them for a reason I guess and here we go dmx servo controlled project now. Keep up the good work Dave.

lol... I have the same thing - I got an RC plane kit - also about 25 years ago - it never flew - the wings got broken off and could not be repaired so it's been sitting in my garage ever since. I think it only has 3 servos in it though - good enough for a skull though for Halloween!

Offline n1ist

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, »
Prototype boards have arrived (though we already have some changes...)

Offline jess_her

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, »
Very nice layout, compact, wireless,  8 Channels.
Great job when is the coop?? just kidding.
Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2011, »
Just a quick progress update.

The controller firmware is about 90% complete. Still need to implement servo reversing and some additional tidying up. I also wrote a "configuration program" that will allow you to send all the parameters (end points, reverse, channel assignments, etc) to the controller via the dongle. Attached is a screen shot. We were thinking about generating a Vixen sequence to send programming data, but decided it would be simpler to send it directly. Everything is working pretty well, so I think we're pretty much over the hump from a software standpoint. Next up is hardware prototype testing and tweaking.

A little about the configuration program. The end point settings are the DMX dimmer values that you would determine to be your servo travel limits. You'll have to use Vixen or the DMX channel tester to figure out what dimmer values represent the end points (based on the "default" range). When you enter the values in the configuration program screen and send it to the controller, the software will automatically calculate and scale the travel across the entire DMX dimmer value range. So you'll almost always get the full 256 point resolution. Although if you set up a super-short travel range, it may have to give up some of that resolution. 256 positions is pretty fine resolution for animated decorations.  :)

"Load Configuration..." and "Save Configuration..." allows you to save and recall settings as a file on your PC. "Set Defaults..." will reset all values to what you see in the screenshot. "Program Controller..." will send the configuration shown on the screen to the controller. "Settings..." is a means to setup and save the COM port settings for communicating with the dongle. The "Direction" values are "Std" and "Rev". Everything else is self explanatory.

Cheers,
Dave
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, »
Servo reversing is done. Program feedback and data reception feedback indicators done. All that's left for the firmware is low-power indication/lockout. The common power supply circuit needs careful testing. I have tons of servos from mini to large digitals that I'll be using to test with. 

Test, test, test....

Dave

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, »
can wait to see it in action.  sound like a fun project once its all put together

Offline lightsup

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, »
Its just beautiful. nice lay out, lots of features and nice setup program to make it all work.
Good job Dave and Mike.
Just do it.

Offline dilgod

• Change your thoughts and you change your world.
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2011, »
Can't wait for the coop for this controller.

-Dilgod

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2011, »
Nice!  I too can't wait.  This will be a great addition especially during Halloween!

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2011, »
Ok, the software is finished. I think you're gonna like it. Plenty of flexibility for servo control and Mike's idea for the LED/RGB output adds a nice touch. Now I can concentrate more on the hardware testing so we can work towards getting another set of prototype PCBs printed.

Keep the popcorn flowing...  :)

Cheers,
Dave

Offline gforman

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2011, »
 <pop.. <pop..

here you go

thanks for the update, sounds real promising
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2011, »
 <pop.. <pop.. <pop.. <pop.. <pop.. <pop.. >.d9
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline dlhoppe

Re: DMX Servo Controller Project
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, »
We have a new development resource on the team to build the Mac version of the configuration program. So you Mac users can feel good that we're thinking about you...   ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline lightsup

Re: DMX Servo Controller Project
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2011, »
any updates on this project.
Just do it.