Author Topic: Beta-DMX Servo Controller Project (See first post for specs and features)  (Read 68569 times)

Offline jess_her

Hello,
Laptop died, now using the desktop. The laptop had vixen 2.5 and it will display cell intensity values in cells. BUT 2.5 is a beta so and the previous versions wont. Vixen 3.0 is suppose to.

Sorry for being off topic but I wanted to correct myself from an earlier post in this thread.

Bobcat servo controller has been working solid for me.

Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline rrawlings

Sorry to have not been timely in giving feedback on this.  I have been looking for my box of RC stuff.  I will be running this beauty thru it's paces tomorrow.

Offline jess_her

Hello All,
Here is a Hitec HS-645MG Servo with a twist. pulled the 5K pot put of the servo and remove the gear stop. Works perfect with the  Bobcat controller. Also you can get a good feel for the software limits that are programed with this setup. This is to get more than 270 degrees of rotation.                 Sorry for off topic.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, by jess_her »

Offline rrawlings

OK, I am playing with it now.  I am only able to get about 50% of the servo's possible rotation.  I configured with the 0 to 255 points but am only getting about 45 degrees rotation from center on the servos.  Maybe I am missing something.  Let me know.  other than that I love this so far.

Offline jess_her

Digital servo with programed end points???

Offline rrawlings

Nope just a couple of good old futaba standard servos

Offline jess_her

I just hooked an old futaba FP-s28  and get only 45 degrees off center each way, Its the servo and I don't know why. But the newer analog ones work fine for me.
Jess
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, by jess_her »

Offline rrawlings

that is good to know.  I will get some newer ones then before building my animated skull

Offline dlhoppe

There is the possibility of expanding the pulse width range to get more rotation from your servos. I used a conservative range to help prevent over-rotation. If servos are commanded to go beyond the stops, damage will likely occur. If you think expanding the range is useful, let me know.

Dave

Offline jess_her

Hello Dave
I'm very happy with how the servo controller is set  up.  Fultaba I have is over 30 years old and I don't know why I still have it.    <fp.
Jess

Offline dlhoppe

Jess, have you used the configuration tool? I'm hoping that you guys will put that through it's paces as well.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline jess_her

I've used the configuration tool and has worked perfect. I needed the Bobcat software end points. Had to sneak up on limits but no big deal. Abused the controller with overvoltage and wrong polarity, still lives and works fine. DON"T try this on yous.  I do need to spend more time with address and haven't done anything with the LED side of it. Tomorrow AM I'll check it out.  Had been doing Halloween and an LE , will leave that for another post........ maybe.
Jess

Offline jess_her

Everything  is working good here, programmer is easy to use, watch out for power hookups from the outer edge of the board it's power/ground/power/ground.

Offline dlhoppe

FYI,  we're experimenting with expanded end-point limits. I have modified the configuration tool to allow expanded range of motion.

rrawlings has stepped up to try it out. PM me if you'd like to test this as well.

Offline rayster

So instead of reading though 10 pages of great info how do I get a board or two? Sounds like you guys came up with the perfect servo controller for a fraction of the cost of any thing out there and the best thing is it is a DIY project.  :)