Author Topic: Beta-DMX Servo Controller Project (See first post for specs and features)  (Read 68348 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So instead of reading though 10 pages of great info how do I get a board or two? Sounds like you guys came up with the perfect servo controller for a fraction of the cost of any thing out there and the best thing is it is a DIY project.  :)
This is is beta for testing not available yet
Jeff

Offline dlhoppe

I took a crack at setting up the wiki for this device in preparation for release. It's in the "DMX Devices" section on the "Equipment" page. Build photos will improve once I get my hands on some more.  hint...hint...

Thanks Rick for getting me started with the wiki entries and manual pages!

Offline dlhoppe

Are there any approved coop managers that would be interested in running a coop for this device?

Offline dlhoppe

For you folks that are interested in the LED output from this device. I picked up some "common-anode" RGB LEDs and they work very nicely. So those who want to implement color-changing eyes or similar RGB effects will be pleased.

Here's a little video clip showing a simple sequence driving the RGB:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   (sorry for the poor quality, colors don't show up all that well)

Dave
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline n1ist

The LED outputs can also drive single-color LEDs.
/mike

Offline dlhoppe

Yep, 8 total channels for LEDs. It takes 3 channels to drive an RGB LED. So you can mix and match RGBs and single color LEDs however you wish within that 8 channel limit.

Offline n1ist

The COOP for the servo boards and DMX testers has begun.  You can find it
/mike
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, by n1ist »

Offline JerryPlak

:o link is bad  <fp.

/mike
Jerry Plak

Offline rimist

Two questions: since this project is now out of beta, shouldn't it get its own forum?

Can you provide link(s) to servos that can work with this controller?
I'd like to have an idea of how much it will cost me including the servos :)

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
- Rimist

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
The link worked for me. Its on the coops page.

:o link is bad  <fp.

/mike

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
Can you provide link(s) to servos that can work with this controller?

I second that...

Offline dlhoppe

I am hoping these devices will get their own forums soon.

Any R/C type servo will work. Analog or digital.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline rimist

I'm looking at adding animations to my Christmas display. I Googled servo motors and found them from $6 to nearly $500. Can you give me any idea what I would need to make Rudolf lift his head or Santa wave his hand? I know it will be a range based on materials, especially the weight of the materials.
Concept: wireframe Rudolf wrapped in garland and lights. I want his head to lift.

- Rimist

- Rimist

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
This might be way off topic but you might want to look into $20 automobile wiper motors for loads that heavy.  Add a couple $2 limit switches for a reversing circuit and away you go!!   (My local salvage yard has some motors for $10, check locally!)

:) joe

I'm looking at adding animations to my Christmas display. I Googled servo motors and found them from $6 to nearly $500. Can you give me any idea what I would need to make Rudolf lift his head or Santa wave his hand? I know it will be a range based on materials, especially the weight of the materials.
Concept: wireframe Rudolf wrapped in garland and lights. I want his head to lift.

- Rimist

"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline dlhoppe

- Rimist

If you counter-balance the item you're moving and eliminate as much friction as possible, that will go a long way in helping servos do their job. There are some very powerful servos on the market (google "high-torque digital servos"). In addition, using the DMX servo controller, you can gang multiple servos onto the same DMX channel to drive heavier items. Although that creates more complexity from a mechanical standpoint. It will take some thought and effort to make your items move with less force required. Build using light-weight materials where possible.

Also be aware that using high-powered servos to move heavier items will require more input power (power supply).

Here's an example of a powerful servo at a pretty cheap price: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   You would have to research and check reviews for whatever equipment you're thinking of buying.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, by dlhoppe »