Author Topic: What is the EtherDongle  (Read 37186 times)

Offline rm357

Re: What is the EtherDongle
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, »
Does the ether dongle use standard ethernet packets?

Can I use my WiFi Hub as a distribution point and use a wifi bridge to get wireless?  >.d9

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, »
very conductive, looking forward to this  :)

I thinking I am overloading on Popcorn   <;d <pop..
Jerry Plak

Offline dmoore

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does the ether dongle use standard ethernet packets?

This begs another question - unicast or multicast?

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, »
Will this be able to output DMX as well or just pixelnet? I know I can get dmx out of the hub. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, »
If it works like the current Dongle with pixelnet, then you'll be able to designate some of those pixelnet channels for a DMX universe .... and then just connect DMX devices to the DMX out on the SS Hub.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, »
Will this be able to output DMX as well or just pixelnet? I know I can get dmx out of the hub. 

I doubt that it will output both as there really is no need.  If all you need is DMX then the current dongle already exists. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tpboyce

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, »

I doubt that it will output both as there really is no need.  If all you need is DMX then the current dongle already exists. 

Not entirely true.  I am still up in the air as to how I want to handle the gutters on my upper roof and the Holdman Star that I plan on putting up there.  I probably will go just straight RGB instead of Pixels (I already have straight RGB on the lower gutters).  I already have ethernet connectivity up to the attic, but would need to do some work for a DMX run.  Also, I can think of several instances where this could used.  This could be a substitute for an Ethcon Gateway.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, »
Well, if you are using straight RGB and want to use DMX, then you could just go wireless DMX for your upper roof.  The idea is to keep the costs down and adding another output and support circutry for the etherdongle to support both protocols at the same time would probably be far more expensive than most would like and increase the complexity of the unit as well. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, »
I do not think there are many users able to go strait RBG this year. There for the ability of this dongle to be a conducter with a daughter board would be a waste for most, if it cannot output DMX. I speak only from my point of view other members  may think diffrently.

Shaun 

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, »
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you need both the computer can handle both dongles. Yeah, you have to use another USB port, but most people have more than enough, or you can get a hub if you don't.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, »

[/quote]

This begs another question - unicast or multicast?
[/quote]

I read up on the E.131 standard and according to that, each DMX universe is mapped back to IP by using a distinct IP Multicast address per universe.

Hope this helps.

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, »
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you need both the computer can handle both dongles. Yeah, you have to use another USB port, but most people have more than enough, or you can get a hub if you don't.

The perpouse of a conducter is not have too use a computer it would be stand alone. 

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, »

The perpouse of a conducter is not have too use a computer it would be stand alone. 
But RJ mentions nothing of it being a conductor, I thought this was just a dongle that would connect to ethernet over cat5, or I would assume it would work with a wireless access point and you would still need a computer to run the sequence. Now someone else did mention wanting there to be a conductor on it, and there is mention of options, but no details given.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, »
RJ hinted at  the end of the first post that it would be very conductive to our shows

Shaun

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, »
RJ hinted at  the end of the first post that it would be very conductive to our shows

Shaun
Ok, yeah, I guess he was hinting, I didn't read it that way at first.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL