Author Topic: What is the EtherDongle  (Read 37173 times)

Offline ponddude

Re: What is the EtherDongle
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, »
Well Rick as I am sure you know I am an LOR user and mix in all DMX stuff.  I am trying to come up with the most economical way of implementing the SS's into my display this year.  I already know I am using them in my snowflakes and I am also trying to create a video screen of sorts out of the pixel strings.  LOR has announced that they will have ethernet support this year and was hoping/wondering if RJ had a chance to test it with their software.  However, if the EDongle isn't out this year the whole idea is shot and I need to use the dongles.  I am hoping that everything will work out OK with xLights as my last resort as well.

Just trying to gather up some information to make some final decisions for 2011.
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, »
Greg since the Lor support for Ethernet is not out yet I have not tested it with it. We have to see what they release and if it is a standards based or something they come up with.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, »
Thanks RJ...appreciate the info!! ;D

Also, they have stated they will be using the industry standards and it will support E1.31 and Artnet, so I am hoping it will be good.

I think I am not going to wait and just use xLights.  Seems to be a great solution to my display this year.

edit: spelling :-\
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, by ponddude »
Greg

Offline tpboyce

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2011, »
Any ETA on availability of the EtherDongle?  Any chance it will be available for this season?

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2011, »
Any ETA on availability of the EtherDongle?  Any chance it will be available for this season?

DLA Teamspeak conference in one week. (5 days now) 

I bet we hear about all the good stuff coming out and when.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline tbone321

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2011, »

RJ does not normally give out ETA's on new equipment, especially something like the EtherDongle.  I would suspect that after he is happy with it he will set it up for beta testing and since there is no set time on how long that will take .....
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2011, »
Well Rick as I am sure you know I am an LOR user and mix in all DMX stuff.  I am trying to come up with the most economical way of implementing the SS's into my display this year.  I already know I am using them in my snowflakes and I am also trying to create a video screen of sorts out of the pixel strings.  LOR has announced that they will have ethernet support this year and was hoping/wondering if RJ had a chance to test it with their software.  However, if the EDongle isn't out this year the whole idea is shot and I need to use the dongles.  I am hoping that everything will work out OK with xLights as my last resort as well.

Just trying to gather up some information to make some final decisions for 2011.

Greg,

Keep me posted on what you find out, I am interested... switching back to LOR for 2012 and hope i can use the SS with LOR and etherdongle.

Offline ponddude

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2011, »

Greg,

Keep me posted on what you find out, I am interested... switching back to LOR for 2012 and hope i can use the SS with LOR and etherdongle.

After weighing all the options and realizing that neither LOR or RJ can give a firm date as to when the ethernet systems will be available, I am going to just use xLights.  I have been playing with it and it works really well.  Once my strings get here from Ray I am going to test the entire system out, but from what I can tell there should be absolutely no issues.

Greg

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2011, »
xlights doesn't support pixelnet yet, but is supposed to (this year) ...

I honestly have  the most confidence in xlights this year.  I guess Vixen (converted from LOR) is another option.

If LSP 2.0 delivers ... I'll be happy ... but I'm skeptical still and waiting to get on the beta testing team.

I've been thinking about using LOR and perhaps using LSP as an RGB effects generator (and then export back into LOR, similar to how superstar lights worked in 2010) ... just convert them all back into LOR16 controllers, and then map out actual hardward and protocols used in xlights.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2011, »
xlights doesn't support pixelnet yet, but is supposed to (this year) ...

I honestly have  the most confidence in xlights this year.  I guess Vixen (converted from LOR) is another option.

If LSP 2.0 delivers ... I'll be happy ... but I'm skeptical still and waiting to get on the beta testing team.

I've been thinking about using LOR and perhaps using LSP as an RGB effects generator (and then export back into LOR, similar to how superstar lights worked in 2010) ... just convert them all back into LOR16 controllers, and then map out actual hardward and protocols used in xlights.

I totally understand your concerns about LSP.  I am taking the year off this year, and next year plan to use LOR again, simply because the scheduler in LSP did not perform. although it does look nice have you seen the new video?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2011, »
Totally understand.

I lot of people blame the complexity and learning curve ... but trust me, LSP 1.8.x has more than just complexity and learning curve issues.  LSP 2.0 sounds promising, but there was a lot to fix.  To me, version 1.8 isn't usable unless you threshold for pain is extremely high or your happy doing one or two songs and thats it.

Thats why I'm trying to become a beta tester for them.

I've worked with really buggy software before and helped the author get it rock solid ... so much so I got me name in the user manual when it was all said an done.  If LSP would take my help, I'm offering.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2011, »
Glad you all said something, I was thinking about LSP 1.8 ( cause its on sale). This is my first year mixing lynx and Lor. I have big $$ tied up in Lor  boxes and sequences but want to use SS and a few Lynx boxes this year. 
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline fbinthesouth

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2011, »
I agree on the LSP sentiment. I like the software and think it is great for the world of 200-350 channels like I was on just my LOR controllers. But though it has promise on the RGB, it is not there yet.
A little disappointing but I will stick with it to see where it goes. Cannot use it this year of course for all the RGB planned (60 smart strings worth) but...

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2011, »
I agree on the LSP sentiment. I like the software and think it is great for the world of 200-350 channels like I was on just my LOR controllers. But though it has promise on the RGB, it is not there yet.
A little disappointing but I will stick with it to see where it goes. Cannot use it this year of course for all the RGB planned (60 smart strings worth) but...

Was that comment based on the older V1.8 LSP that was available at the time this thread was being discussed or the current V2.0 LSP? Seems like the V2.0 reports being posted are much more positive regarding RGB support.

-Mike