Author Topic: ATX Power supply and weather  (Read 5116 times)

Offline LondoB5

ATX Power supply and weather
« on: March 17, 2011, »
Does anyone have any idea how to protect the ATX power supplies required for the smart string hub from the weather?
More importantly, since this is a high current, I'll need a solution that is also lockable, like the demarc boxes. BUT ATX supplies will not fit in a keptel box.

In NJ, if someone dies on your property because of something you have on your property, it is your fault...yeah, that's NJ. So I need to protect this thing from the weather as well as from curious passersby and other morons who don't know what high voltage and/or current is.

I had thought about the giant tupperware-like boxes they sell at target (18"long and 8"deep), but this would not be ideal as it would heat up too quickly and isn't lockable.
btw, we tend to get both snow and rain in Nov & Dec in NJ.

Anyone come up with something as of yet?

Offline tpboyce

Re: ATX Power supply and weather
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, »
Not sure how this works as far as ventilation, but found it very interesting...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I dropped them a line to see what their experience has been with heat, etc.  I am wondering if some type of snorkel vent high on the case might work.

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, »
I believe that type box is available at Home Depot.

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, »
Are you planning on taking off the case from the ATX power supply?  If not, then there absolutely should be no high voltage issue.  You have bigger issues with the hundreds of 120V power cords going all over your yard than with a closed ATX power supply!  Even if it were wet out, and somehow high voltage arced to the case, your GFI or the current protection in the supply would shut it down.  Worry about weather, not shock hazards beyond what you have now.
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, »
Capt.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree. But the worries aren't about me getting hit with stray current.

I'm just worried about legal issues. I had a small amount of vandalism last year when my display was 1/10 the size and controlled by a PLC/SSR combo. Although the vandals didn't mess with the lights, they did break some of the giant plastic christmas balls I had hanging from one of the trees in my yard.

This year, I'm worried that the vandals will be brazen enough to play with something that could potentially kill them, hence my desire to lock everything up. Because as I said, in NJ if someone dies on your property, it's pretty much your fault.

So any suggestions you may have in this regard are very much appreciated.

P.S. I hate vandals.

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, »
Chain link fence, perimeter alarms, and a taser??  I hate 'em too. 

Seriously, what about just an exterior grade plywood box hinged and hasped?  Could use a couple of 90 degree PVC elbows for venting.  Slope the roof a bit so water runs off, have a platform inside that the PS (and hub) sit on to keep them up out of any wet that might intrude.  If near the house, make it like a tiny storage closet built against the house (and the back bolted to the house) where the front hinges up.  Less fancy than the ODU enclosure but definitely less expensive.  If you were considering tupperware, then you probably like less expensive over fancy.

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, »
I love less expensive over fancy, however, I have no woodworking skills whatsoever (even though I took woodshop and metal shop in high school).

However, I DO like your idea. This has me thinking either plastic toolbox or plastic tacklebox with venting (drawers removed, obviously).

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, »
If you are getting to a size of toolbox that can fit an ATX and a hub, you might as well consider the 53 quart (?) size storage boxes used upside down and chained down somehow.  That would give volume of air so the PS does not overheat.  Again if desired a couple of 90 degree PVC elbows drilled in at the top side of the box would not hurt!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, by CaptKirk »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, »
Could some cheap plastic storage box be used?  How about ventilation / exhaust from the PS ?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, »
I seem to remember in RJ's video showing last years display looked like he was using a storage box that is always sold at Christmas time at Hardware stores. Perhaps he can give more detail as to the size of it. He lives in Florida so heat is probably more of an issue for him that most of us.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, »
I plan on running my hub indoors, then running lines outdoors to the SSC's

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, »

Wow, that is one big expensive waterproofing solution!!  Excellent idea though....

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, »
the ones that have one, could mount theirs in their "christmas sheds"
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline scharbon

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, »

Chris,
  I had a similar idea at one point, but asked RJ about limits on distance beween Hub and SSC.  He used up to 25 feet last Christmas, and thought that about 50 feet would work, but it had not been tested, and it was probably at the outer limits.  I think you may need to reconsider your plans if it is more than 50 feet.

Steve

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, »
RJ mentions in this video (8:10 in) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that he has tested the cat5 cable from the hub to the controller at 100 feet without any problems.

Josh