Author Topic: First build close, but no cigar....  (Read 4540 times)

Offline pokey

First build close, but no cigar....
« on: March 18, 2011, »

I finished up my first Express last night.  The preliminary voltage test worked fine.  Then I finished the build.

When I powered it up after completing the build, all three indicator LEDs come on (3v, 5v, and data link).  I can't imagine data link is supposed to light without the connection to the dongle but I kept going anyhow.

I ran the on-board test and I get all 16 leds to light in sequence, and it ends with Led 2 and 4 lit.  If I connect my dongle via a known good cat-5 cable, If I run the tests with dongle connected, I get the same result.

I am unable to get any response from the board -- either with RJ's Config Utility or with Vixen.

I double checked Com port settings -- all is fine. 

I've looked over solder joints - all seem ok (though not as pretty as others' work).

I've looked over the seating and orientation of my chips, all seem good.

I'm at a loss!

Tell me what stupid thing I did!!!!!!!!

I need blinky!

I've attached high res pics of front and back with power off.

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
Re: First build close, but no cigar....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, »
Just a quick look, but take a look at your remove for wireless jumper.
Be sure it is soldered well and the jumper is in place properly.

Offline pokey

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, »

Remove For Wireless seems ok.  Even if it was bridged, I'd assume that would mean I'd never be able to do wireless, but wired would work anyhow...

Offline pokey

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, »
I'll go throw a jumper wire on the back of the connector and see if makes a difference...

Offline pokey

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, »

Hrm.  I completely removed the jumper and replaced with a wire - result same problem -- the Data Link lights.

If I remove the jumper wire (open the circuit), the LED goes out.

I think the Remove for Wireless is a red herring...

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, »

Sorry, I don’t have a V5 right here to power up and see how it normally works. Maybe someone else does and could check it.

If my old memory is correct, the symptoms you descried are what you get if in wireless mode with no receiver. But I cannot remember for sure.

From your testing sounds like I may be wrong on this. Hopefully someone was one they could check.

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, »
While waiting for that, I would re flow the 3 RJ45 jacks and the 2 small RS485 chips next to them, just to be sure.

If you have not already done that.

Offline pokey

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, »

I'll try reflowing everything....but I've got another nagging problem -- work.  Sigh.

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, »
You let work come before Blinky Flashy, well that’s the problem right there. :) :)

I will give you a few other easy to fix ideas I am thinking of, for when you do have a chance to look at it.

Take a look inside the top of the RJ45 jacks and look at the 8 little wires in there that the cat5 connects to when plug in. I have seen where one of them is out of its track and is shorting out to the others.

Also when you first power it up, watch the display and be sure it says 60hz and not 50hz. Don’t think that is your issue, but when that chip is not working it can cause strange things, so I always watch for that.

Now I have to go do that work thing too.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, »
Had a problem last year with some 485 chips keeping the DMX LED on, still worked ok.  If you do remove the "Romove for Wireless" jumper the DMX LED will go out, that is normal.

Try swaping the two 485 chips and see if that makes a difference on the DMC LED.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline pokey

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, »

Ok.  I lied.  I'm not working yet.

I reflowed most of the connections along the top of the board.  No luck.

I then swapped the 485 chips...the light went out.  So I dug out another 485 from my second kit and put that in.

The Data Link LED is now out, but I'm still unable to communicate with the board...

One other behavior I noticed before I swapped the 485's - the led wasn't very bright during boot up, but once the Express was "ready" it brightened.

Ok...now I REALLY have to go to work.

Offline inzeos

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, »
Call me crazy but maybe the board is fine and it's your computers interaction with the dongle that is not working?

It's sound like the test sequence ran correctly to me.  However, I don't have my boards in front of me.

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, »
Looking forward to hear what the problem turns out to be. Although like inzeos, I'm leaning towards the dongle output since the onboard tests are successful.

Sorry we don't have the DMX tester ready for you. That would come in really handy right about now.

Coming soon....

Offline pokey

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, »

I tried with two different dongles...(which each grabbed different Com ports).  Same result.

Is there an equivalent of Wireshark to test what's being sent (if anything) from the dongle??

Offline pokey

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, »

I just installed DMX Deck and get no love from it either.

Maybe it IS my laptop/dongle.

I'm gunna go grab my daughter's XP box and try from it.