Author Topic: Lynx DMX Dongle v2.0 Programming and Testing  (Read 9214 times)

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Lynx DMX Dongle v2.0 Programming and Testing
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, »
If you hook up your dongle to the LE and run a sequence, the channel LEDs on the LE will blink.
IMO, Vixen is the easiest to learn.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, »
John's right, if you have the USB and ethernet cables you can run a sequence and the channel output LED's should respond to the sequence. Without cables you won't be able to check the dongle. You can do a self test of the express (if you have power input cables) and  the LED's should also respond.

Since I am new to all this I have no clue which software is the easiest to learn to use, there are several people on DLA that have had experience with other software that can address that question better. There is a video series on youtube that goes through the basics of Vixen that I have been watching. Some of it is probably outdated but it is helping me learn how to do sequencing and it shows some of the short cut keys. I think think that it is going to work fine for getting started in the hobby for me.

Rich

Offline mcangeli

• Original Gangsta
    • Mcangeli
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, »
Yes... You can provide power to the LE, and connect to your dongle with cat5 and run a test program. The leds on the LE will light...

I made a test program for 16 channels, 10 minutes long by highlighting the channels in vixen and selecting random.

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, »
ok this is my first dongle build so please excuse my ignorance.  What you are talking about here satisfies this.....??..
NOTICE
The pic does NOT come pre-programmed from Microchip or any supplier. If you don't have a programmer then please see this wiki page for a list of folks who can program the pic for you.

Will

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

If this is the answer to your question:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

...for the member list willing to program the dongle pics...

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, »
Thanks NavyGator for posting the very easy to follow How-To. <res.
I received my PICKIT 3 today and programed my PIC with no problems.  ;D
Scott
The little lights aren't twinkling Clark
[img width= height= alt=channel count]http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/img/vix_48_lightgray_blue.gif[/img]

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks NavyGator for posting the very easy to follow How-To. <res.
I received my PICKIT 3 today and programed my PIC with no problems.  ;D
Scott

Thanks. Glad it helped out.

Offline razorblade54

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, »
I purchased the Microchip PICkit3 from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and am sure I followed the programming instructions but I get an error message. "Communication error: could not querry PTG mode". I had downloaded and used the stand alone programmer recommended in the instructions. In reading other users problem I see updating the firmware as a suggestion. I'm going to try again on an old pentium 4 machine with a fresh Windows install. Do I need to have MPLAB installed as I did not when I tried before. 

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, »
I had the same problem.  Installing MPLAB and having it update the firmware then allowed the stand alone program to see the PIC and program it.

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, »
I had the same problem and like above, installing MPLAB and letting it update PicKit 3 resolved it for me as well.

Offline razorblade54

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, »
Firmware update seemed to solve my problem as well. I think the PIC chip programmed correctly. The test program allows me to turn on the individual LEDs and adjust their power and the alternating blinking works okay. I hope that means I've been successful. I have not been able to successfully flash the LEDs with a sequence I made as yet. Pretty sure I set the com port up properly in the profiles section  using the USB DMX to the com port reported. Sort of scratching my head a bit now.