Author Topic: Com Ports and The Dongle  (Read 2993 times)

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
Com Ports and The Dongle
« on: March 19, 2011, »
As noted in my previous post, I built two DMX Dongles and they both worked. However, I have a question. These are built out of the same parts. The PIC is programmed with the same hex file. However, my Windows 7 Home edition recognizes the two different boxes as being different. If I plug one in, Windows says that it is Com 6. If I connect the other one, Windows says that it is Com 7. If I connect the first one in again, it is recognized as Com 6 as it was before. I am using the same USB port and the same cables for each. Why is this? How does Windows know that they are different boxes? The problem of course is that Vixen must be told which Com Port to use. Therefore, I have to change the Com Port settings if I change dongles. With one test program, that is no problem. But if you were running a show with many sequences, that would become a pain. I am just curious as to why Windows sees them as different Com Ports and how does it know? ???
Jim Wright

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
Re: Com Ports and The Dongle
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, »
To the computer they are two unique devices.  Them reason they are unique is each FTDI USB chip has a unique serial number in it.  This is programmed into the chip by the manufacturer.

Todd

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As noted in my previous post, I built two DMX Dongles and they both worked. However, I have a question. These are built out of the same parts. The PIC is programmed with the same hex file. However, my Windows 7 Home edition recognizes the two different boxes as being different. If I plug one in, Windows says that it is Com 6. If I connect the other one, Windows says that it is Com 7. If I connect the first one in again, it is recognized as Com 6 as it was before. I am using the same USB port and the same cables for each. Why is this? How does Windows know that they are different boxes? The problem of course is that Vixen must be told which Com Port to use. Therefore, I have to change the Com Port settings if I change dongles. With one test program, that is no problem. But if you were running a show with many sequences, that would become a pain. I am just curious as to why Windows sees them as different Com Ports and how does it know? ???

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, »
Todd: Thanks. That answers the question. I appreciate it.
Jim Wright

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, »
jjust have to set up 2 different enttec dmx usb pro plugins and set them up for the 6 and one 7 com ports, and then set up your channel range and im thinking it would work as two different dongles.

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, »
The way I get around that;

In windows you can go into the device manager settings for the one that is assigned to com port 7. Then go to the properties and port settings, go to the advanced settings and you can change it to com port 6 there.

Then they will both connect as com port 6. You just can never have them both pluged in at the same time. Windows will get very upset.

Sorry I do not have windows 7 here; so can not tell you the exact steps for doing it there. But I am sure somebody will jump in with the steps for you.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, »
I have 7,i had trouble running the dmx deck and those other programs, i could only run start pattern. Now that i have xp it all works fine. i wonder if rj knows that 7 is having troubles running his programs.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, »
I have 7,i had trouble running the dmx deck and those other programs, i could only run start pattern. Now that i have xp it all works fine. i wonder if rj knows that 7 is having troubles running his programs.

Strang cause I run windows 7 64bit myself and that is what they are developed on?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, »
SmartControls: Thanks for your response. Windows complained as it usually does, but it worked. Now they will both (separately) work on the same com port. I learn something new every day.
Jim Wright

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, »

try temporarily turning off UAC in windows 7.

To the computer they are two unique devices.  Them reason they are unique is each FTDI USB chip has a unique serial number in it.  This is programmed into the chip by the manufacturer.

a computer creates a unique ID tag for devices connected. the usb port connected, (as well as which port of a hub) + plus the device hardware serial number help it recognize which device it is.

for example, i have 5 usb soundcards connected to my computer.  they are all the same manf, and model. If the computer couldnt tell which is which, then using them would get all jumbled up...    by removing a usb device from my computer, then plugging it into another port (even on a hub) that number gets changed. then the computer keeps this information for the next time you plug if back into where is was before.   in my computer's registry, i have 10 of these soundcards showing up because i couldnt remember in what order i had plugged them in last time.

Depending on how you computers set up, that that you have them set as COM 6, if you un plug it, then plug it in a entirely new location for it...   it might revert back to a COM 7...  but it some case it'll stay as COM6
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, »

try temporarily turning off UAC in windows 7.

To the computer they are two unique devices.  Them reason they are unique is each FTDI USB chip has a unique serial number in it.  This is programmed into the chip by the manufacturer.

a computer creates a unique ID tag for devices connected. the usb port connected, (as well as which port of a hub) + plus the device hardware serial number help it recognize which device it is.

for example, i have 5 usb soundcards connected to my computer.  they are all the same manf, and model. If the computer couldnt tell which is which, then using them would get all jumbled up...    by removing a usb device from my computer, then plugging it into another port (even on a hub) that number gets changed. then the computer keeps this information for the next time you plug if back into where is was before.   in my computer's registry, i have 10 of these soundcards showing up because i couldnt remember in what order i had plugged them in last time.

Depending on how you computers set up, that that you have them set as COM 6, if you un plug it, then plug it in a entirely new location for it...   it might revert back to a COM 7...  but it some case it'll stay as COM6
whats uac?

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, »

Strang cause I run windows 7 64bit myself and that is what they are developed on?

RJ
i pull up dmx deck or any of the other ones,it says comport is not avaliable. ok i know that. I go up to settings and pull it down and select com 1 that its on and click update. Then it says unhandled exception has occured inyour application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit, the application will close immdiately. Access to path 'C:program files (x86)\DLA\LYNX DMX DECKconfig.xml" is denied. If i click continue it closes anyways. It does that on all the programs except start pattern.

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, »
Since you have the program in the Program Files directory you are getting the access denied error.  If you right click on the app and select run as administrator it will run fine.  Best bet is to move the program to another directory and run it from there.  Did RJ make a install for this program or did he just distribute it with a zip file?

The Program Files directory should not be written to by a program.

Todd

i pull up dmx deck or any of the other ones,it says comport is not avaliable. ok i know that. I go up to settings and pull it down and select com 1 that its on and click update. Then it says unhandled exception has occured inyour application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit, the application will close immdiately. Access to path 'C:program files (x86)\DLA\LYNX DMX DECKconfig.xml" is denied. If i click continue it closes anyways. It does that on all the programs except start pattern.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, »
Towards the end of this thread I explain how to turn off User Account Control (UAC) in Win 7.  That should solve the problem of writing to the Program Files directory. "Run as Administrator" probably won't be enough. If you're paranoid about leaving UAC off, turn it off, make your setting change and then turn it back on.  UAC will be an issue with Windows Vista or Win 7.

-Mike

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, »
Yea it worked after i changed the uac. But thats why i bought a xp computer to run the show. so ill just use my win 7 computer that i use for school as a backup.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, »
Heres a way to fix it without changing the uac,
1. right click lynx dmx deck. (or other one of rjs programs)
2 click troubleshoot compatibility,then it runs to detect issues.
3 try recomended settings, then it will try to run the program as xp, click start the program button.
4. The program starts, and go up to com port and select your com port. And Now all of rjs programs are now running as xp on win 7 system.
5. Then close the program, if it works click yes keep settings.
Yay it works
Found it out on accident. Feels good to learn something on my own.  <la..
Just dont try to change the com port when your not running the trouble shooting, or you will get that message again.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, by holland lights »