Author Topic: USB Dongle co-op?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline tech33012

USB Dongle co-op?
« on: March 21, 2011, »
Hello fellow members,
I was wondering if people have done a co-op with the USB dongle that usually will include the PCB and the parts? I checked the closed co-op and it seems that they sell the dongle PCB but not the parts that are included. I recently just assembled my Lynx express but got no DMX to program it with :'( Was wondering if they have done a Dongle Co-op with PCB and parts

Best regards :)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: USB Dongle co-op?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, »
the most expensive part is $25 and hardly comes down in price in numbers. the remainder of the parts dont cost a lot to begin with.

By the time someone orders the parts and pays for shipping, then sends them to you, and you pay for the shipping. with the double shipping, you'd save money just by ordering the parts yourself.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline skulldan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, »
I asked that very same question a few months ago.
short answer is no there will not be a dongle parts coop.
there is no real price break ordering in any qty that we would hit.
RJ should have the PCBs stocked again so check the DLA Store for pricing and availability.
check the wiki for the part number and for the cases.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, by rrowan »
Dan

building my collection of blinkys

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, »
There is no full coop for the dongle.  The purpose for the coops is to save money and there is little savings ordering the parts as a coop.  Every now and then here is a coop on the boards and on the cases.  If you need a dongle then check the DLA Store for the board(s) that you need and then you can order the parts from mouser. RJ may also have some dongle cases but the only way to know is check the store. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
check the wiki for the part number and for the cases.

On the cases, the vendor ran a few more of the customized cases than what I ordered (and they charged me for them).  When I believe enough time has passed that everyone should have received what they ordered in the coop I'll look at what is left and post them in the For Sale section.

Thanks

Alan T

Offline tech33012

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, »
In this case I'll wait for a USB dmx dongle >.> I ordered 2 lynx express and saw a DMX Dongle PCB up for sale I thought they would have a full co-op for it so I didn't choose it (Noobie mistake xD)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, »
the best advise i can give someone is to look over the equipment in the wiki, and really get a feel for what it does (example, the freestyle is a 128 controller, which is great, but you need ssr's for it to communicate with  which is added cost)   then look in the current, and finished coop threads for the hardware you're interested in.

It'll give you an idea what's usually offered in a coop, as well as what to expect (ball park) for price.
YMMV
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In this case I'll wait for a USB dmx dongle >.> I ordered 2 lynx express and saw a DMX Dongle PCB up for sale I thought they would have a full co-op for it so I didn't choose it (Noobie mistake xD)

You should check the DLA Store and get Dongle PC Boards since that coop has finished.  He may still be up to his neck in other coops so it may take him some time to respond.  In lieu of that you can sit tight and see when he posts PCBs available in the For Sale area.

As noted above you'd need to order the parts directly.  In the wiki and there is a link for Mouser direct under the DMX dongle section that will take you directly to Mouser with a shopping list already filled out for you.

Here it is just in case:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Alan T