Author Topic: Need troubleshooting help  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Muskogee Gene

Need troubleshooting help
« on: March 21, 2011, »
I have the ultimate dilemma.  In wanting to move to DMX, I have no known working devices to narrow the search.  I built a new dongle and also a Freestyle.  Programmed the pics, plugged everything together, created a test sequence in Vixen using all 512 channels and nothing happens.  The green light on the dongle is lit solid and doesn't seem to blink at all even when running the StartPattern utility.  I suspect that isn't right so I am starting here.  Any help is appreciated.

Gene.
Perfection is great, but good enough is more fun.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Need troubleshooting help
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, »
if you have two leds (preferably diff colors) , 2 120 ohm resistors, and a rj45 crimp end (or end cable)

connect 2 led together in inverse parallel (long stem to the other short stem, and the short stem to the other long stem.)

on the end of each of the two solder joints, add a 120 ohm resistor then solder the other ends together,

pick one of the resistors, and solder the orange wire from the rj45 cable to one end of a resistor. and solder the white/orange wire the the other end of the same resistor.

you can plug this into the dongle to use as a cheap tester. as the dmx data is sent out of the dongle, you can test by watching the led's light
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Muskogee Gene

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, »
Thanks.  I will put that together tomorrow.  I have the leds but not the resistors.  I'll hit RS tomorrow and post what I find.

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have the ultimate dilemma.  In wanting to move to DMX, I have no known working devices to narrow the search.  I built a new dongle and also a Freestyle.  Programmed the pics, plugged everything together, created a test sequence in Vixen using all 512 channels and nothing happens.  The green light on the dongle is lit solid and doesn't seem to blink at all even when running the StartPattern utility.  I suspect that isn't right so I am starting here.  Any help is appreciated.

Gene.

Gene,

If right now all you have is a dongle and a Freestyle, you're lacking a couple of things to make Blinky Flashy.  The Freestyle is the master controller for SSRs (SSR4 base version or SSR4+DMX in SSR mode) which put the "AC switching" circuitry on a small remote unit that has it's own power cord and is connected by Cat5 Cables back to the Freestyle which has the "DMX and Controller" ciruitry on.  This is in contrast to a Lynx Express where these two functions are on the same PCB.  To test the Freestyle you would need to have a completed SSR or build a Freestyle Tester.

Here is a schematic sketch of what I'm talking about and some pics of a couple of the Freestyle testers I built on some protoboard.

Remember that on a Freestyle the controller switches the Ground side of the circuit so on the tester the Positive or Anode side of the LEDs are hooked together to Pin 7 of the RJ 45 Jack.  To test you use a regular Cat 5 cable to connect the tester to each of the RJ-45 jacks on the Freestyle.  You'll need to have a sequence with at least 128 channels and have it loop or use the DMX deck and just cycle up through the channels.

I also made one of the two LED "DMX Testers" mentioned above.  Both testers have come in handy for me as I have 4 Freestyles with a mix of SSR4s and DCSSRs (different forum).

Hope this helps.

Alan T
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, by D56VillageNut »

Offline Muskogee Gene

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, »
Thanks for the reply.  I omitted that part.  Sorry.  I do have those proven parts.  I have SSRs that I used with a Grinch that, as I understand it, are supposed to work with the FS.  I also have a test set of LEDs tied to an rj45 connector that I used to test the Grinch ports and none of those will light when testing either.

The SSRs are built from PCBs bought from WJOHN called SSROZ 2.5e several years ago and worked great with the Grinch.  I will compare the circuit to what you showed to make sure it is switching the correct side.  My understanding, or misunderstanding as may well be the case, is that the FS was designed to replace the Grinch and provide dimming while still using the SSRs.

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, »
Thanks for the reply.  I omitted that part.  Sorry.  I do have those proven parts.  I have SSRs that I used with a Grinch that, as I understand it, are supposed to work with the FS.  I also have a test set of LEDs tied to an rj45 connector that I used to test the Grinch ports and none of those will light when testing either.

The SSRs are built from PCBs bought from WJOHN called SSROZ 2.5e several years ago and worked great with the Grinch.  I will compare the circuit to what you showed to make sure it is switching the correct side.  My understanding, or misunderstanding as may well be the case, is that the FS was designed to replace the Grinch and provide dimming while still using the SSRs.

My apologies as well.  I didn't want to be too elementary but with all the buzz on LEs and Smart Strings the Freestyle and SSRs have taken a bit of a back seat role so I wasn't sure of your familiariity with them.  Sounds like you have the SSR thing down.  

You mentioned the SSR OZs.  My DC SSRs are from wjohn as well.  It is my understanding that the SSR OZs should work with a Freestyle.  I believe RJ designed his SSR4 with that kind of compatibility in mind (I believe he was the designer of the Grinch).  I hope you get it all working.

Alan T

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, »
I have use 2 of the ssr-oz for the past 3 years with no problem.

Just have to figure out if the computer is setup properly. FTDI drivers installed? Right com port, Is the dongle sending out the info. Are all parts in correctly is the soldering good. If the computer is setup correctly then its most likely a solder problem or a part in backwards

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, »
I've been using my FreeStyle with a bunch of SSRoz SSRs - they definitely work great!

Offline rayster

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, »
So would this be the circuit diagram for a DMX Tester.

Thanks Ray

Offline Muskogee Gene

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, »
OK.  I made the tester, plugged it into the dongle and connected the usb cable.  I started the Startpattern utility. The text at the bottom says "Connected to FTDI DLP-USB245M  Com 9."  Given that info it appears drivers are ok and working.

The LEDs on the tester both light continually and don't blink, dim or otherwise change with Test Patterns running.  I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm thinking that isn't right.

I checked all of the solder joints under a magnifier, checked the polarity of the cap.  Knotches in the chips match the silkscreen and the heatsink on the transister matches the silkscreen.  The dot on the oscillator is on the same corner with the dot on the silkscreen and has the square corner.  I verified the RS485 and 6N137 were in the correct sockets.  Still no blink.

I'm down to the PIC having an issue in my mind.

Any thoughts anyone?

Offline Muskogee Gene

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, »
BTW,  Chris and Rayster.  I didn't have 120 ohm resisters lying around but had 180s and used those.  Should still work correctly?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, »
So would this be the circuit diagram for a DMX Tester.

Thanks Ray
Ray, yes that will work

BTW,  Chris and Rayster.  I didn't have 120 ohm resisters lying around but had 180s and used those.  Should still work correctly?
i believe the 120 that goes right between the orange and white/orange wire is for DMX termination, the other is just a currect limiting resistor for the two leds
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Muskogee Gene

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, »
Improvement.  I reflashed the PIC or perhaps flashed it for the first time.  When I programmed it before, I clicked the verify and it verified with the correct checksum.  When I put it in the programmer this time, I attempted to read it and it wouldn't read.  I did a blank check and it said it was indeed blank....weird.  So it is programmed and it reads from a fresh start giving the correct checksum.

Also, I now see changes in the led when changing power in both Vixen and Start Pattern.  So I am assuming the best at the dongle.  Now on to the Freestyle.

Thanks everyone for your help.  It is so nice to know I'm not out here by myself doing stuff I know nothing about.

Gene