Author Topic: LE without dongle possible ??  (Read 3343 times)

Offline barbotte

LE without dongle possible ??
« on: March 22, 2011, »
hello i am in the process of building my 5 LE but i do not have a dongle ... is there a way to get it to work with light until i build my dongle ... i do have 4 complete  ren 24 and 1 ren 64 can i used them as dongle ?? meaning can i daysy chain them or used them somehow togetter as it is my plan this year ....
thank

Offline tbone321

Re: LE without dongle possible ??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, »
The LE is a DMX dimmer and needs a DMX stream to work.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline memphislights

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, »
Try PMing RJ for a dongle PCB.  You'll have to order your parts from Mouser or source them from other vendors.  As of 2 weeks ago, it didn't look like Mouser was backordered on anything.  You can order a dongle case or modify a radio shack project box.  I believe that there was as post that there were some extra dongle cases avaiable after the last coop.  And don't forget you will have to get the dongle pic programmed.

Cheers/

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline barbotte

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Try PMing RJ for a dongle PCB.  You'll have to order your parts from Mouser or source them from other vendors.  As of 2 weeks ago, it didn't look like Mouser was backordered on anything.  You can order a dongle case or modify a radio shack project box.  I believe that there was as post that there were some extra dongle cases avaiable after the last coop.  And don't forget you will have to get the dongle pic programmed.

Cheers/
thanks for the info .. i already have 4 pcb and 2 case for them but no part ... i received the lynx and i have not order the part for the dongle because i am from canada and i am scare like SH** to order from mouser as i hurd they used ups and those people charge crazy brokage fee ... so i am kind of stuck as i call mouser 2 week ago and who ever annswer the phone could not garenty they were going to used USPS for me ..so go figure...  now i am kind of waiting the wireless co-op to see if i will need the dongle with it...  do i still need dongle if i go wireless ??
thanks

Edit by RJ for language
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, by RJ »

Offline mcangeli

• Original Gangsta
    • Mcangeli
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, »
Yes. The dongle is the piece that makes the computer talk DMX.

You plug the wireless in to the dongle.

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, »
Don't fear buying from Mouser if you are in Canada...
They charge $20.00 shipping if the order is under $200.00 but you do not pay any brokerage or duty fees....
I'm in Vancouver and have ordered lots from Mouser with no issues...
Their site will redirect you to the Canadian order form auto-magically (least it does for me)..
I've had stuff delivered the next day (by courier) when I order by noon (and I'm in Vancouver)...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login has a similar deal though I think they charge less for shipping.....

YMMV....

Bob
zappedmyself.com

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, »
Try PMing RJ for a dongle PCB.  You'll have to order your parts from Mouser or source them from other vendors.  As of 2 weeks ago, it didn't look like Mouser was backordered on anything.  You can order a dongle case or modify a radio shack project box.  I believe that there was as post that there were some extra dongle cases avaiable after the last coop.  And don't forget you will have to get the dongle pic programmed.

Cheers/
thanks for the info .. i already have 4 pcb and 2 case for them but no part ... i received the lynx and i have not order the part for the dongle because i am from canada and i am scare like SH** to order from mouser as i hurd they used ups and those people charge crazy brokage fee ... so i am kind of stuck as i call mouser 2 week ago and who ever annswer the phone could not garenty they were going to used USPS for me ..so go figure...  now i am kind of waiting the wireless co-op to see if i will need the dongle with it...  do i still need dongle if i go wireless ??
thanks

Edit by RJ for language

It looks like on Mousers site that if shipping to Canada and the order is more than $200CAD the shipping is free. It also looks like parts for 4 dongles is  $199.35CAD.

Add a soldering iron tip or something like this brass soldering iron tip cleaner to get over the hump...

Rich

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, »
You can also buy an enttec dmx usb pro for about $130. You will need to buy a 5 pin connector and build a cable, but that is pretty easy.

Do NOT buy the open dmx usb unit - its output is not stable enough for what we do.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline barbotte

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, »
You can also buy an enttec dmx usb pro for about $130. You will need to buy a 5 pin connector and build a cable, but that is pretty easy.

Do NOT buy the open dmx usb unit - its output is not stable enough for what we do.

RM
now i am confuse are you saying there is a part in mouser for the dongle i should not get ?? also hope i dont realy need 5 dongle for my 5 lynx ?? i though 2 should be enought for the 5 ??? ( 1 for spare ) also i do not see the free shipping if more than 200 $
thanks 

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, »
you need all the parts in the BOM to build a complete dongle.

you can try to place your order, then before you checkout, you can see what shipping options are.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, »
I promise it really said free shipping for $200CAD.....

Wiki >> BOM Mouser Direct >> Order Project x4

Click Change Country in the top right corner of the page >>  Click Canada

Click view cart at the top right corner of page

Scroll to bottom of page and look at the pricing info

Change the very last component to quantity 5 and update cart

Now look at the pricing info

Offline rm357

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, »
 The enttec dmx usb pro is a commercial usb to dmx converter. Google it.

It cannot be reconfigued for pixelnet, but you should be able to buy one online if you are not willing to wait fo the next coop.

You should really spend some time reading the wiki. There is a lot of good information in there

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, »
thanks for the info .. i already have 4 pcb and 2 case for them but no part ...

He already has the pcb's for the dongle. The dongle coops dont include parts.

The only other alternative I can suggest, are there any Canada based electronics components distributers?
I dont know of any since I am in the states, but if you can point me to one. I might be able to help you find the parts for the dongle.

The others from Canada, what have you done for  the dongle parts? what have you paid?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, »

now i am confuse are you saying there is a part in mouser for the dongle i should not get ?? also hope i dont realy need 5 dongle for my 5 lynx ?? i though 2 should be enought for the 5 ??? ( 1 for spare ) also i do not see the free shipping if more than 200 $
thanks 
[/quote]

A little clarification "You need one Dongle for 512 channels."  thats 32 (16) channel Lynx expresses.  but you can mix, match and add as many lynx equipment as long as you add up to 512 channels. Know the SS string, is a different channel count. 

here is a good DMX dongle Outline. 

Caliente Christmas

Offline lightsup

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, »
I am in New brunswick Canada and when I order with mouser canada site at the end in the cart you will have the option for USPS and its $8.00  and you dont pay dutie as its built in there prices on the canadian site.

For Canadian distributer. Here some example You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
but they dont have all of what you need and with all the shipping from them it becomes more expensive, you better order from mouser and wait for the back orders to clear before placing your order. Digikey is more expensive then Mouser.
Just do it.