Author Topic: Cat5 cables cheap for Smart Strings  (Read 12509 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Cat5 cables cheap for Smart Strings
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
While fundamentally true, it is not applicable for this case.  The wires carrying current are not carrying any real frequency content.  Therefore, in this case it is stranded more for flexibility and reliability than "surface area".

It's more pronounced on higher frequency use, but still applicable.

They are well made stranded cable and I can not make a stranded cable myself cheaper by the time I by the ends and cable. So not use solid cable like you get at home depot ect on the Smart Strings. They require stranded cable as we are carrying the power across the conductors. These are cheap and perfect for the job.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, »
I saw this on current flow

With direct current, the charge flow is distributed throughout the cross-sectional area of a conductor. With alternating current, the charge flow tends to flow towards the surface of a conductor due to what is called the 'skin effect'. The higher the frequency, the greater the skin effect. In fact, at ultra-high frequencies, tubes are used because practically no current would flow through the centre of the conductor -these tubes are known as 'wave guides'.

Since resistance is inversely proportional to area, the resistance a conductor offers to alternating current is somewhat higher than the resistance to direct current, because of the effective reduction in cross-sectional area due to the skin effect. This is termed 'AC resistance'.

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, »
This thread should be summarized and put in the wiki and unpinned so it quits taking up space at the top of this group.

Just my 2 cents worth based on discussions at the Academy.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA