Author Topic: Cat5 cables cheap for Smart Strings  (Read 12510 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Cat5 cables cheap for Smart Strings
« on: March 24, 2011, »
After looking into everything having them made in china and doing a coop to all the different places to buy them I have found the best price and qualitity we can get is from:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The shipping has been very reasonable and the quality is good. I am using them on my stuff. I can not even run a coop and get them cheaper on a quanitity that the normal user will need.

They are well made stranded cable and I can not make a stranded cable myself cheaper by the time I by the ends and cable. So not use solid cable like you get at home depot ect on the Smart Strings. They require stranded cable as we are carrying the power across the conductors. These are cheap and perfect for the job.

RJ 
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Re: Cat5 cables cheap for Smart Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, »
I am a long term customer of Monoprice, and I can attest that they have high quality, well made products at reasonable prices with cheap shipping too.

I have ordered just about every type of product they sell and have never been disappointed.

Just my penny and a half input.

Brian
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, »
I bought a 50 ft HDMI cable from them and a few other smaller things and can say I am impressed with the cable I got and it was cheaper than anywhere else I looked for it and works great.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, »
I just ordered 1000 ft bulk! Great price.

Thanks for the info RJ!  ;D

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, »
RJ, 

Can you explain to a non-electrical type person like me  ;D  Why we can't use a solid wire cat5 cable?  All of my cat5 cable is solid wire. 

Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, »
electricity flows on the surface area of a conductor of a cable. not in the "core" of the wire.

stranded cable has more surface area than solid, so it can carry more current.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, »
Perfect!!  Thanks.  I love learning new stuff!!..  Looks like I need to upgrade my cat 5 cable for my smart strings.
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline tng5737

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, »
The other BIG reason why you shouldn't use solid cat5 is that it will eventually break as you move it around! 

Offline njKeever

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, »
Thanks RJ. I didn't see any on monoprice, do you have any leads on the best deal for direct burial stranded CAT5?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, »
i dont think i ever saw burial stranded cable. but that doesn't mean it doesnt exist.  i just never had a need to bury cat5
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tng5737

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, »
I suspect that Direct Burial cat5 is probably solid since it is assumed that it won't be moving.  You'll also be crimping your own RJ45 connectors on the ends.  If you go that route you'll want to get the Gel-Filled cable.   If you don't water will wick into the cable - not a good thing! 

Offline inzeos

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, »
I suspect that Direct Burial cat5 is probably solid since it is assumed that it won't be moving.  You'll also be crimping your own RJ45 connectors on the ends.  If you go that route you'll want to get the Gel-Filled cable.   If you don't water will wick into the cable - not a good thing! 

Run some conduit, it usually ends up being cheaper depending on what type of burial cable you go with.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, »
With these, I'm kind of changing my thinking to use the minimum cat5 length(S) possible to connect each SS Controller with the SS Hub, since we are running power across these and will have more loss for more distance.  I'm also thinking about potentially placing the hub in the middle of my SS items and that should help with keeping the distances down.  I'm also assuming the SS Controller should located at (or very near) the SS item I am controlling (near beginning or strip, nodes, or chain of interconnected RGB modules.  So I'm assuming a distance from SS CNTLR to SS item of 2-3' or less.

[SS HUB] -----------Cat5---------> [SS CNTLR] ---3wire ribbon--> [SS 4m FLEX STRIP (1 max)]

[SS HUB] -----------Cat5---------> [SS CNTLR] ---3wire ribbon--> [SS 1m RIGID1] ---3wire ribbon--> [SS RIGID2] ---3wire ribbon--> [SS RIGID3] ---3wire ribbon--> [SS RIGID4 (4 max)]

[SS HUB] -----------Cat5---------> [SS CNTLR] ---3wire ribbon--> [SS NODE STRING (128 max)]

[SS HUB] -----------Cat5---------> [SS CNTLR] ---3wire ribbon--> [SS MODULE1] ---3wire ribbon--> [SS MODULE2] ... (up to 80 max rectangles / 120 max squares)

..............<-------LENGTH A------>..................<---------TOTAL SS ITEM/NODE LENGTH B WITH SPACING BETWEEN EACH OF C -------------------->

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline kj77rn

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, »
Deep Surplus is another source for Cat 5 and they sometimes have very good sales including pre-made cables in various lengths.  Check the online specials page.  They also carry the direct burial Cat 5 someone was asking about.
Steve
Apopka FL

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, »
electricity flows on the surface area of a conductor of a cable. not in the "core" of the wire.

stranded cable has more surface area than solid, so it can carry more current.

While fundamentally true, it is not applicable for this case.  The wires carrying current are not carrying any real frequency content.  Therefore, in this case it is stranded more for flexibility and reliability than "surface area".

No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.