Author Topic: Multiple TX?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline erm213

Multiple TX?
« on: March 25, 2011, »
I know there is going to be a COOP soon, so I am planning what I want to get. I have a few questions.

• I know I need 1 TX for each DMX universe I want on the wireless, but can you have more than one transmitter on a universe? I do not think I would need this, but it would be for redundancy sake.
  • Can I have multuple receivers for one transmitter? I am pretty sure this is a yes, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

Erik

Offline rm357

Re: Multiple TX?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, »
#1 no, only 1 transmitter per universe. The range on these is pretty good - unless you are lighting the whole subdivision, you should be fine. RJ has defined three wireless universes - selection of which universe you want is done by internal jumpers.

#2 yes, you can have as many receivers per universe as you want or can afford...  :)
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline erm213

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, »
Thanks for the reply!

Erik

Offline batdive

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, »
Not to muddy the waters, but you can use another TX to resend the signal on one of the other universes, if you need to more distance.  I did this in our subdivision to strengthen the signal for houses that were included in the display.

IE Dongle--- > Wireless TX (Uni 1)         <<>>>  RX (Uni 1) Hardwired to LE (DMX IN) --->> Cat 5 out of DMX OUT 2 to Wireless TX (Uni 2)  and so on

-JS

Offline ron d

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, »
Back to what rm357 said about lighting an entire subdivision. I ran my show and 9 others this past year. We have interest from a few others but why couldnt you simply run a TX on the output of one of the lynx controllers receiving a wireless signal?

I am kinda done as it has well exceeded the amount of work i want to do but it would be cool if I could get data further down the streets!

Offline lightguy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, »
you can as long as it not on the same frequency (universe) as any other transmitter
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, by lightguy »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, »
Actually, they can be on the same frequency as long as they are not in range of each other and the only way to tell is to experiment or test and see.  Fortunantly, this can be done off season placing the transmitters and receivers where you would like them to be and hook at a few units to them and see what happens running a simple sequence.  I would say that I would not have two sequential transmitters on the same frequency but every other one should work if they are far enough apart.  The only way to know for sure it to try it and see.  Also remember that a universe on a transmitter is really just a frequency and you could have all three transmitter universes on the same DMX universe.  What would not work out well would be putting three different DMX universes on the sae transmitter universe unless the transmitters were not in range of each other.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, »
The initial tests indicated that the range on these is a pretty far, as in more than a block with the tx at 6 foot high or greater. If you are going to use two transmitters on the same frequency, the distance between the tx needs to be twice the maximum useable range of a single unit. Also be aware that there will be a dead zone halfway between them where the weaker transmitter is effectively jamming the stronger one....
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, »
They need to be on different universes.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying