Author Topic: Access to the comm port denied  (Read 8000 times)

Offline mcangeli

• Original Gangsta
    • Mcangeli
Re: Access to the comm port denied
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, »
Another stupid question is what permissions does the user you're on the system have?

Have you tried as an admin?

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, »
I'm login as the admin. I did remove Vixen and reinstalled and it fix the problem for the first time I ran my seq. but after closing Vixen and reopening it I receive the error again. have had a chance to look at the problem, out of town but when I return I'll see if i can find out whats going on.

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, »
I have noticed what might be a similar problem. Maybe an answer to this problem will also answer the one being discussed here. When I first connect the dongle into the usb port, everything works fine. And here is the biggy. Both the red and green LED are on. While in this state everything works great. After some period of time (an hour or two) the green led goes out and stays out. With the green led out no software can access the dongle. It errors out. I am also working with Olive Studio. This happens in both Olive Studio and Vixen, so I do not believe that it is a Vixen problem. BTW Windows Device Manager says everything is OK with the port. There are only two ways to fix the problem and both work, but it is annoying. The easiest is to disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it. Then both lights are on and the software will control the lights. The other is to reboot the system, to the same effect. Maybe if we can figure out why the green light goes out and stays out, then we can get the port errors to go away.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, by JimWright »
Jim Wright

Offline tbone321

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, »
This may have to do with the power settings on your machine.  It looks like the port is going to sleep and the dongle has no way to wake it back up. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, »
I have recently had the same issue as Jim. When I try to do a channel test or run a test sequence after the laptop has sat for a while, it can't access the com port until I unpluf/replug the usb cable and restart Vixen. My show ran all last year without a hitch on the same laptop.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, »
Good point. I went into advanced power settings and disabled a setting called "USB selective Suspend Settings". We will find out in the morning if that will fix the problem.  Thanks for the thought <pop..
Jim Wright

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, »
this may help some, or might be completely useless...

I notice if i unplug my usb jump drives often, i'll get to a point where i plug one in, and it wont show the drive. It'll show the the driver was previously loaded, and never released, so it locks up me using "usb mass storage devices." once, i reboot, then it's fine.

so i dont know about plugging in the dongle repeatedly without ejecting it first might have issues after leaving the computer on awhile might affect.

Hey, I know i'm NOT the only one that does it!   ;D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, »
An update from my last entry. It has been almost 12 hours now and the dongle is still working. I guess that the setting change that I made in the advanced power settings resolved the issue.
Jim Wright

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, »
that's good to know, i'll try to remember it.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, »
Thanks Jim ... I was noticing the same problem during my testing.

This thread is a real life saver to discover so quickly.  Thank god for search on these forums.

Just got my first Lynx Express and DMX Dongle done and everything works, but this green light going out (after a while) ... really had me concerned about future stability issues using the Lynx DMX Dongle.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit ... here is what I did, since I wasn't sure how to get into the USB settings you mentioned:

Click on windows7 logo ... typed into search box "power" (no quotes)
Click on "Change power-saving settings"
Click on "Change Plan Settings"  (this was next to Balanced settings, which was already selected)
Click on "Change advanced power settings"
Scroll down to "USB settings", click the "plus sign" to open it up, if necessary
Click on "USB selective suspend setting"
Click on "Enabled" will give you a drop down list box, choose "Disabled" instead.
Click on "Apply", then "Ok"

This procedure might need to be listed someone either a sticky or in the wiki ... because I bet a lot of people have had this happen, since this is a windows 7 default.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, »
Since my post on March 29th, I have had no more problems. I should have posted how I got there. Yours is a great way. Here is what I did. Hopefully it will help others:

Start > control panel > power options > click on "Change plan settings" (which is to the right of which ever preferred plan you have selected) > click on "Change advanced power settings" > click on the + button to the left of USB Settings > Click on the + button to the left of "USB selective suspend setting" > click on the "enabled" setting to change it to "disabled" > click on Apply > then OKs to back out and you are done.

This is, in essence, what taybrynn did above. This is just the direct way without using the search box. I hope that this helps others.
Jim Wright

Offline lburnham

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, »
Hi.  I am experiencing a similar issue.  I built my first dongle and express over the weekend with my son and everything works great as long as the dongle is attached to our tower.  After installing vixen on my son's laptop we started to see the 'com port denied' error.  It only happens however when attempting to switch from one sequence to another.  After starting vixen any sequence will run fine.  If that sequence is stopped and another started the error is thrown and vixen has to be restarted.  I have been scouring the posts and will try the methods I have found when I get home but was wondering if any one else has seen this particular behaviour.  Thanks for the help!

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, »
I had a similiar issue and solved it by looking (via device manager) at the COM port.  I noticed the communication rate was incorrectly set to 9600.  I bumped it up to 115200 and no longer had the issue.  Once I fixed this, everything worked like a champ!  Not sure if this will fix it, but it may help.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login