Author Topic: 5 Volt LED Not Lit  (Read 1334 times)

Offline galgon

5 Volt LED Not Lit
« on: March 27, 2011, »
I am in the process of building my first Express.  I built my first dongle yesterday and everything went very well (surprisingly).  However, now I am to the part where i plug my express in for the first time and the 3.3 volt LED lights but not the 5.0.  So where should I begin with the troubleshooting process?  The only known issue with the board is that I installed one of the RS-485 sockets in backwards.  However that should not matter as long as I install the chip correctly. 

Thanks in advance for the help.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline combustionmark

Re: 5 Volt LED Not Lit
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, »
Check the 5 volt reg and led. Make sure they are installed the right way. The tab of the regulator should be on the same side as the fat line, just like the 3.3v. Look close at the side of the led, you will see a flat spot, this should be the same as the white print on the board.

Have Fun!

Offline galgon

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, »
Found the issue.  It was a bad solder joint on the 5v regulator.  I have 2 green lights now.  Thanks.  Now to finish and see what happens.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline galgon

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, »
Well I was able to get the triacs and chips in and ran the test program with success.  I attempted to plug in the dongle and connect to vixen with no success.  I tried a few things on the computer thinking that was the issue.  Then I touched up a few solder joints on the DMX in jack and the problem was solved.  I now have BLINKY FLASHY!!!

I was able to throw together my 2nd LE in the past two nights without issue.  Now I just need some LE boxes, some plugs, smart strings, ethernet cables and of course a house to put it on. 
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, »
Congratulations on your blinky flashy.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline onesmoothhead