Author Topic: Re: Wireless Coop 3/28/2011  (Read 2648 times)

Offline barbotte

Re: Wireless Coop 3/28/2011
« on: March 28, 2011, »
ok here few question as i  hate to sound newby but i have 5 lynx express that i would like to go wireless if not too expensive ,... so anyone can tell me what i need? is that mean i need 5 dongle for those 5 lynx ??  and will those wirelss work with the ren 48 lsd
thanks

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

Moved from the Coop, since that is for orders only, please...

The EX/RX is what plugs into the LE directly, so you could use one kit of it and one pcb for it each, but you would also need the TX/RX to connect to a dongle to turn its dmx stream into wireless.  But you could use several other combinations to achieve the same.

Such as one tx/rx setup and one LE/RX with wires from that LE to the others.

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, »
The jumper on the LE says "remove for wireless".  But you say I can have a transmitter inside the house and one (1) of my LE outside with wireless.  Then from the one and only wireless LE I can plug in the cat5 cable from it to the others?  Having all my other expresses and ssr4's and my Aether all daisy chained off the wireless Lynx?

So the one Lynx is wired and wireless so to speak?  I like this because the biggest pain is running the cat5 wire from inside the house to the outside.

Or this would be good to buy the transmitter and a few receivers.  Then next coop buy the rest.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, »
You always need a dongle to output DMX...

then you can run wire wherever...

ok, so that wire can run into a TX/RX device that setup for TX

then all of your other gear can have wireless receivers added in one of two ways...

the Expresses (and Aether)  have a place to install a EX/RX devices directly on them
the MR16, SSR4's, Freestyles, can have a EX/RX installed (using a mod - it's in the wiki)

or...
you could have a TX/RX setup near them, setup as RX

if you plan on also running wired devices, you can...
use a splitter in between your dongle and tx/rx
or, you can run a cat5 cable from the DMX OUT 2 port on the express...

I hope this is clear, i'll try to clean it up, if it's not.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, »
The jumper on the LE says "remove for wireless".  But you say I can have a transmitter inside the house and one (1) of my LE outside with wireless.  Then from the one and only wireless LE I can plug in the cat5 cable from it to the others?  Having all my other expresses and ssr4's and my Aether all daisy chained off the wireless Lynx?

So the one Lynx is wired and wireless so to speak?  I like this because the biggest pain is running the cat5 wire from inside the house to the outside.

Or this would be good to buy the transmitter and a few receivers.  Then next coop buy the rest.

Ron

You are correct.  You can connect the Rx/Ex board to the Express, remove the wieless jumper and then daisy chain the other units form the DMX OUT 2 port on the Express.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline barbotte

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, »
k so if i get this right i need 1x kit 1 and 1x kit 2 for inside the house on my pc and maybe the kit 3 to put them in
then i need 5x kit 4 and 5x kit 5 to put inside the LE
and that would make all my 5 le wireless ?? did i miss something ??? i understand that i can only use 1 or 2 then  daysy chain them togetther if i wish right??  
also i should only need 1 dongle to all of those le ??
also is the kit 4 et 5 would work on the renard series ?? or do i need kit 1 and 2 for those ? as i have 4 ren ss24 and 4 ren 48 lsd ...that i migh want to go wireless too
cheer

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, by barbotte »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, »
for transmitting...

you need
TX/RX pcb, case,and parts   (kits 1,2,and 3)
you only need one of these to do the transmitting (jumper set to TX)

FOR RECEIVING
if you want to receive to any dmx device...
you need
TX/RX pcb, case, and parts (kits 1,2,& 3)
you can place this anywhere, and connect to a device, then continue with other devices with cat5 cable (also note, the TX/RX has a power cable to power it) (jumper set to RX)

if you want to receive on an express...
you need
EX/RX pcb, and parts (kits 4 & 5)
you can setup one, or all of your Expresses for wireless, then you can setup wired devices off the DMX OUT 2 port on the Express (don't forget to remove the REMOVE FOR WIRELESS jumper)

if you want to receive on a single ssr4, mr16, or Freestyle...
you need
EX/RX pcb, and parts, and the socket adapter (kits 4,5 & 6)
going this route, you would need this for every device you wanted to connect to wireless in this manner. plus, you can't add wired devices for the dmx out of that part (forexample, the ssr4 [also note the ssr4 NEEDS to have the DMX addon for it to work with wireless])
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, »
k so if i get this right i need 1x kit 1 and 1x kit 2 for inside the house on my pc and maybe the kit 3 to put them in
then i need 5x kit 4 and 5x kit 5 to put inside the LE
and that would make all my 5 le wireless ?? did i miss something ??? i understand that i can only use 1 or 2 then  daysy chain them togetther if i wish right??  
also i should only need 1 dongle to all of those le ??
also is the kit 4 et 5 would work on the renard series ?? or do i need kit 1 and 2 for those ? as i have 4 ren ss24 and 4 ren 48 lsd ...that i migh want to go wireless too
cheer

This is once again correct.  You would need 1 kit 4 and 1 kit 5 for each Express   As for the Renard units, you might be able to get kit 4 and 5 to work but there would be nothing plug and play about it.  You would need to figure out how to wire them in correctly.  It would be much easier to use kits 1,2, and 3 and just make whatever cable adapter you need to make it work.  Remember that your Renard must be using DMX firmware for them to run on the wireless system.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, »
If my computer, dongle, transmitter setup is in the garage, would it transmit through the wall (brick) to the receiver? (about 10 feet through the wall to the yard)

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, »
I did not have very much success getting my transmitter to send a good signal from inside my garage to my LE in the front yard (about 25'). When I moved it outside to the top of my garage, it worked perfectly. I did have 2 cars, a refrigerator and a freezer between the tx and LE.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, »
I have a v2 TX inside my house and can control everything in my yard including the LE up on the roof (only a 1 story house) and the ssr4 that is on the far side of my garage where the signal goes thru the whole house and the garage.  I have also been able to control everything when the transmitter is in my basement workroom during testing.  For the show season I put a small computer in my wife's sewing room closet in the front of the house and run the computer using remote control.  Since it is the wife's sewing room I cannot leave it there all year or .... LOL.  I did have to mount the SSR4 up near the eves to get a consistent signal and I do have the transmitter at just above eye level in the closet.  Seems to work better the higher I get it.  I have a EXRX for every LE, but during last years show I realized that a number of the LEs are fairly close together and I plan to use the DMX2 Out to cable the close ones together for 2011.  Then I should not need to buy anymore EXRXs for my new LEs that I got in the first coop this year.  I have also found that it is good to have a spare for backup and troubleshooting.  YMMV
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA