Author Topic: Designing a website  (Read 3094 times)

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
Designing a website
« on: September 16, 2008, »
I need advice from a couple of you who know how to build websites!

I desperately need a website for my business, but, other than registering a domain name, I have no clue how to build one.  I already have a cheesy looking 1 page site that a friend put together in about 5 minutes (IUseKNK.com), but I need something that is professional looking.

I am wondering if it would be worth it to use a place like one of these,

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

or not.  I just don't want to do it and then be talking to somebody who knows what they are doing,
and have them yell at me for "wasting my money" or something.  Keep in mind that I am from Seattle, and I am one of the only people here who doesn't know how to do this ;D.

Any comments are much appreciated! Thanks, Kyle  ;D ;D
Excess is Success

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Designing a website
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, »
Hi Kyle,

If you will allow me I would like to offer some suggestions to get started.

First a search engine is your friend. Like use google and search for sites that are already built for your area of business. Look at other sites and write down what you like and don't like about a few sites. Have an idea what you need on your site and maybe a wish list of somethings you would like to see.

Keep the site simple and informative. For me there is nothing worse then a business site that you can't figure out what its for and where is the info. Have define areas. ie: About us, What we do, Areas we serve. Maybe put some pictures on it of completed jobs (make sure you have approval to display the pictures, etc)

I hope that gets you started.

Building a site is not that hard to do, keeping it fresh and or up to date is harder.

Cheers

Rick R.

P.S. I forgot to add - keep the site focus on the business - ie: if its about building don't have pretty pictures of christmas lights, etc.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, »
A couple of things. What softwares do you currently have? I.e. Frontpage (Microsoft), Dreamweaver (Adobe), notepad (Requires you know the code to write. What are you trying to do? What is the website about? What type of data (i.e. informational, commerce, etc..). I can try to give you some pointers.

Edit: I just visit the site. Sorry should've done that before posting hehee. Anyhow looks like your using Jombla for your content management aspect of your page which is great. You should do some more research regarding Jombla, you would be amaze by how powerful it is once you get use to it. Typically you have everything you need to set things up. All you need to do is design it (meaning draw out what you want on paper and try to create it with something like photoshop. I.e. such as this site that i'm working on for my mom's business at the moment You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Everything was designed using photoshop and all I did was divide it into sections and place it using code. You can use frontpage and do the same things, i'm just use to writing code in notepad.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, by knguyen916 »

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, »
Kyle:

I think Ken means Joomla! not Jombla. ;) ...

From peeking at the underlying code, it appears you're using 1.0.15 (or thereabouts). While this is last year's code, for the foreseeable future the gang at Joomla will be continuing to support it. The latest-greatest is 1.5.x and as far as I have been able to tell, there's no real easy way to upgrade from one to the other but you don't really need to.

The look-and-feel of a Joomla site is controlled by what are called templates, and while you could design one on your own, you probably should leverage the large world of free (as in speech and beer) templates out there. Google "joomla mambo construction free templates" (you add the word "mambo" to make sure you're getting a version that works with your version of the system) to find something you like, though what your friend did looks just fine to me.

The beauty of Joomla (or any other CMS, but stick with me here) is that you don't need to use a tool like Dreamweaver or Photoshop to build a site. There is a users guide over at the Joomla site; you should download it and read it to learn how to create the individual Joomla pages. Part of what makes a CMS so nice is that you are doing all the building on the site itself -- the tools are hidden to the general users, but available by special logon to you, the site owner.

The real issue is content. I just Googled a couple of construction companies and here are some of the "buttons" you should probably put on the left-hand side of the page:

• Projects
  • What we do
  • Certifications
  • Testimonials
  • Financing
  • Gallery
  • About us
  • Careers
  • Contact us

Hey -- you're already done with the last one!

Then, just create a content area (say, projects), write up a story ("We at KNK have had the honor to work with some of the best clients in Washington State. They challenge us every day to do our best work and in exchange, they get great homes, buildings, yards ...")

Use a photo or two in each of the button content areas and a lot of photos in the gallery area. Build out a button content area so that it is just a little deeper than the screen, so the user has to scroll just a bit to get to the bottom. They'll never scroll the whole way, so your "little bit" could be a lot for all they know.

Tackle a button a day or a button a week and you'll be done in no time. You can PM me directly if you want more specific ideas. I don't do training, but my advise is free, though you get what you pay for.

Best o' luck.

\dmc

Offline Marcus

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, »
There's a lot of good suggestions coming in here. I've got a lot of experience with entire site executions, so let me know if I can be of assistance to you. Always willing to help out a fellow blinky addict if the schedule allows for it. :)

Offline MrC

• Invitation to Dance
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, »
Just want to include my 2 cents.

You've already received a lot of good ideas.  The big question is who is your audience?  As a construction company you are probably not going to have a lot of dynamic and interactive content.  Treat the site like an expanded brochure.  Your audience can read as much or as little as they want.  Graphics and multimedia are great, but don't go hog wild.

The second question is how much is it worth to you?  If you put $2000 into the site, will that give you a return of more than that?

Joomla is a great content manager.  It does have a high learning curve.  We use it for our dance studio, and I use it for a couple of my clients sites (I have a web design company).

A couple of sites that I have used Joomla are  mambo.invitationtodance.com and balmac.sambaworks.com
(These are test sites, not production sites)

It has already been said, but keep it simple.  Get your message across.  If you don't need Java, Flash, Joomla (yes even that), then don't.  This allows for more compatibility across more web browsers.

Here is a site that I didn't use a joomla, straight html, css, and some javascript: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

--Stacy

Dance like no one is watching!

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, »
UPDATE

After all of your great advice, I built a website for my Christmas light display.

And after building a website for my Christmas light display, I decided it would not be a good idea to build one for my business  :D.  So I paid someone to do it for me :D.

So, here it is... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .   We still have a ton of pictures to add, the picture on the home page is going to be a slide show, and there are a few things to change, but it's basically finished. 

Thanks again for the help!

Kyle
Excess is Success

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, »
Just a thought, have your developer make the contact information required before submitting. Therefore you won't need to worry about blank messages. Overall nice job

UPDATE

After all of your great advice, I built a website for my Christmas light display.

And after building a website for my Christmas light display, I decided it would not be a good idea to build one for my business  :D.  So I paid someone to do it for me :D.

So, here it is... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .   We still have a ton of pictures to add, the picture on the home page is going to be a slide show, and there are a few things to change, but it's basically finished. 

Thanks again for the help!

Kyle

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I have already emailed him about it.

Kyle
Excess is Success

Offline Greg

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, »
Web site's looking good there Kyle.

Just a nit I noticed on the About Us page... It starts off with "Since 2006..." and further down it says "With over 10 years..."  So, perhaps some further verbiage to clarify how an apparently 3 year old company has 10 years of experience would be a good idea.

Greg

....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, »
So, perhaps some further verbiage to clarify how an apparently 3 year old company has 10 years of experience would be a good idea.

Greg

Greg that is in Kangaroo years LOL

Sorry Kyle, Nice site

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, »
Nice site

Bill

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, »
The site looks great.  Very professional.

Your work looks fantastic.

Ron

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, »
Gotta agree with Bill and Ron and Rick and ......   

Great site and even better product...    (dang....    too bad you are so far away,,,,  sure could use your expertise)...     

Really like the way you've set up the pics.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012