Author Topic: problem with my clock  (Read 4918 times)

Offline steve_hirst

problem with my clock
« on: March 30, 2011, »
OK, let me start out by saying that I have built several boards in the past year. I built enough Renard boards last year for over 600 channels (didn't use them all but they all tested well and I used over 300 channels.) I built the clock, tested with the pic, reflashed the pic on the board, reflashed the pic in my j1sys board with my pickit 3 using both the stand alone program and mplab. I have rechecked the leds to make sure that they are in right. rechecked the chips to make sure I didn't fold a pin or put them in backwards. I have retouched all of my solder joints, looked for bridges, checked the switches, checked the resistors for the correct ohms. I'm at a loss, I followed the manual and the only thing that I did different was, I didn't use the sockets on the two smaller chips( because I didn't see them on the back of the foam, my mistake) I also checked that I had the correct voltage coming from the voltage regulators.

So what am I missing? this should be a very simple board after some of the others that I have done and its throwing me for a loop. I have no leds lit after plugging it in and pushing select.

EDIT: looking at the red leds it looks like the anvil is backwards. can anyone look at theres and tell me if I'm right. this is from the most recent coop.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: problem with my clock
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, »
Well it sometimes are the easiest ones we get nailed on. I think we put down our guard and they get us. 

We can help getting you going it will be a simple issue normally.

A couple of things is can you post a clear close up of both front and back of the pcb. This is normally the best starting point for us to help. One thought  I have is it is to miss the tiny pin on the push buttons and install them backwards and you will get nothing as I remember one user doing once.

We can move on from there to get it going. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, »
here's a few pics

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, »
In the first picture above it looks like the 100 uf cap below and to the left of the L7805 regulator may be in backwards.  Can you confirm?  If in fact this is the case, it probably has been damaged and you may need to replace it with a new one.

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In the first picture above it looks like the 100 uf cap below and to the left of the L7805 regulator may be in backwards.  Can you confirm?  If in fact this is the case, it probably has been damaged and you may need to replace it with a new one.

nope, if you look at RJ's layout, its correct.

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, »
Wow,
Mine is in backwards!  It works just fine though.

Tony

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, »
if you watch RJ's video, it doesn't even have one there. Just the pads.

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, »
Steve,

A shot in the dark here.  Are the two voltage regulators in the correct spots?  Not scientific by any means but in looking at my Aeon the metal tab on the L7805 Vreg looks thinner than the one on the 1117v33c.  From your pics it looks like they might have been swapped.

Everything else looks good as far as I can see.  Nice clear pictures too.

Alan T

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, »
It looks like you missed 2 pins on one of the chips (see attached). Also, I don't think it makes a difference, but the ICSP header is missing.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, »
Also looks like pin 16 (top row; 2nd pin from left in Rainlover's picture above) on the IC located next to the number 8 (bottom right in picture) on the clock isn't soldered.

Denny

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It looks like you missed 2 pins on one of the chips (see attached). Also, I don't think it makes a difference, but the ICSP header is missing.

John

It looks like the pins on the socket didn't come through the holes in the PCB.  Did they get folded under the socket?

Alan T

My bad ....no socket under that component and in looking at the one in the kit I just received from the Aeon coop that part does have two pins missing which would be why it looks like two pins were missed.

AT
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, by D56VillageNut »

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, »
Sorry, I did not see your edit earlier,

Verified both the red and green LEDs from the march 2011 coop. The flat side on both is the negative side.

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, by smartcontrols »

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, »

The firmware from the coop starts at 12:00

If you want to verify yours with a VOM, when you first plug it in and have not set the time yet. The red LED for the 12 will be on for the first hour.

Jeff

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, »
the solder is good on that chip.

yes, that part is missing the 2 pins on it so I skipped the holes.

I will pull the battery and let it sit for a while then plug it back in and check the voltage on the  led on 12.

thanks for the time everyone. hopefully I can find whats wrong. keep the suggestions coming.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, »
Ok,

Of course my #1 concern is the LEDS in backwards as this is always possible it has been done before.

Then I wonder if it is possible your pic is not programmed due to error ect?

I am waiting to see your outcome on the red 12 oclock led voltage check.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying