Author Topic: Vixen lagging?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Sanityjr

Vixen lagging?
« on: April 01, 2011, »
When I go to try different sequences, the lights will not come on even half the time and when they do, they stay on for much longer than expected. I first changed it to 100 ms blocks, then i tried running my two ssr4's one at a time with no success.
It appears to me like the program is just taking snapshots. As if it picks a random moment, displays my channels in that moment, and leaves it that way until it decides to change to the new 'snapshot' several seconds later.
I am running Vixen 2.1.1.0 with the updates it automatically requests, on Windows 7 x64. All help is appreciated.

Offline Sanityjr

Re: Vixen lagging?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, »
While looking through other threads, I noticed this:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you have not resolved your issue I had the same thing & my pic was not programmed correctly. I went ahead & bought a pickit3 & fixed it. You should have both green & red LED lit when connected. Then Vixen will stop freezing & you can test channels & the green LED should change intensity as you change the slider bar in Vixen.

My green light on the dongle is constant on, but does NOT change intensity as I move the slider bar. Should I re-program the PIC?

Now this thread was discussing a 'router start, access to comport is denied' problem, which I have only seen once when I tried to click the ADD INS>>DMX Options.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, »
There are some options in vixen to playback at slower speeds.  Be sure you are using normal speed playback.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, »
I'm not sure if I read this correctly but it sounds like you have the DMX option turned on.  If so, turn it off.  You don't want the PC to create the DMX packets and that's not what the dongle is looking for.  If the dongle doesn't understand what is being sent to it, it will just keep transmitting the last valid packet that it got and that sounds like what it is doing here.  Make sure that the Entec Pro is selected and nothing else.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, »
Did you create a new sequence or import one from someone or even a LOR sequence?
Are you using the adjustable preview? If so are you using a picture and how big is the picture?
How many channels?
How much ram does the computer have?

Remember Vixen is very memory depended. It loads the whole sequence in memory and the smaller the timing is (ie: 25ms) the more memory it will need. Now load on top of that a huge picture and your computer will stutter and have a hard time keeping up.

My suggestion is to create a new small sequence and see how vixen responds. Don't use or enable the dongle

See if that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Sanityjr

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, »
I created a new sequence. Vixen Standard. 8 Channels. My computer has 3.7 Gigs of usable ram. I don't think I'm using an adjustable preview since I'm not exactly sure what that is. But there is no picture to this show, only sound and the 8 channels. I tried one for 3 mins with 100ms divisions. I will try a smaller sequence when I get back from lunch. I really appreciate the help everyone is giving. The DMX Add In is not on and the plug in on the profile is Enttec DMX USB Pro. I apologize for the lack of clarity of my problem but it is difficult for me to explain exactly what it looks like. Thank you again.

Offline Sanityjr

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, »
So, I created a new sequence using only two channels, 25ms divisions, 5 seconds long. I just had the channels flash back and forth in one second intervals. I then just had this sequence loop. I will attach the video. The video shows the program one time through. then the two channels. the left strand of yellow is channel 1 and the red on the right is channel two.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, by Sanityjr »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, »
I guess I am loss

Can you post the sequence?

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, »

Just thought I would share in case you have;nt seen this it will walk you through vixen and explain what a preview is and much more
Jeff

Offline Sanityjr

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, »
Jeff: Thank you, I will go through this again paying closer attention to ensure i didn't miss anything.

Rick: Main is the origional program to test everything before I actually started. Channel 1 and 2 are planned to test response, the rest were random to ensure that those channels were working. Small is the two channel test program shown in the video. This is the first time I've posted sequences so I hope I did it right.

Thank everyone so much again. I am truely stumped on this one.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, »
I get no channels or sequence

I am guessing you are using a profile. We need that also

Rick R.

Offline Sanityjr

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, »
Sorry Here is the Profiles. B is for Main and R is for Small

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, »
Well

The small sequence is working. Its 5 mins long and switches at each minute. I am guessing that is the issue. Since you said its 5 seconds long

The main sequence has no data

Rick R.

Offline Sanityjr

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, »
Can you try this one? I set it up with 100millisec divisions. And Is five seconds long. If it shows up on yours as five minutes again then the problem is somewhere with that. I will try re-installing vixen to see if I didn't get a bad download. I just don't see why it would show five seconds on mine and become five minutes on yours. If it does it again though then the problem is definently somewhere in that. I really appreciate the time you are putting forth. I simply can not thank you enough.

*** I re downloaded Vixen 2.1.1.0 with no change, let it update to 2.1.4.0 and still no change. ***
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, by Sanityjr »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, »
Remove the DMX plugin so you are not sending and data out and try it. Does it run normal then?

This tells us a lot.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying