Author Topic: Scout project  (Read 2314 times)

Offline CB

Scout project
« on: April 03, 2011, »
I just got to say Today I decided to let a group of 9 year old cub scouts put together an Aeon clock kit.  I went through in soldered a few components on before they started but each boy (13 in total) got to solder a couple of things on there.  They learned how to solder properly, and basically how to work with electronics.  They loved it, there were even a few fathers that were peaking over shoulders taking in the lessons.  The boys had a blast and thankfully it worked, I had to make a couple of revisions without it being blatently obvious to the group, but none the less they did well.

As a former Eagle Scout and a veteran, I took over my son's cub scout den at the beginning of this school year.  I got to say their little book just begs for the meetings to be boring so I have been shaking things up to make the meetings fun and exciting.  The enrollment shot up from 7 to 13 boys when I took over.  I guess once some of the other boys realized that a baseball coach and martial arts teacher took the helm that it wasn't just for a certain group of kids.

Next week they get to tour some underground mines from a quarry in our area, yeah I like these things as much as they do.  Plus I am looking forward to giving them some one on one tours of small aircraft at the local airport where my father and I's plane sits.  It doesn't hurt to live in a small town.

Thanks to all for making the Lynx Aeon so easy that a group of 9 year old boys could do it.

Corey

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
Re: Scout project
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, »
I think that was a great idea to let the Cub Scouts work on the Aeon and get some soldering practice. Good luck with growing the pack.

Rich

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, »
As a scouting leader and dad who saw his son work his way up to Eagle Scout, I know how hard it can be to keep young boys committed to scouting.  I applaud your efforts at providing both an entertaining and educational program for your cubs.

That Eagle Scout son of mine was home from college a few weeks ago and asked if he could work on some of the Lynx kits I had recently received.  After two days I had 3 dongles and 2 Lynx Expresses fully assembled and working without even having to pickup a soldering iron myself.

BTW, you mentioned being a "former Eagle Scout"  As my son has been told, you're an Eagle Scout for life.

-Mike

Offline CB

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, »
BTW, you mentioned being a "former Eagle Scout"  As my son has been told, you're an Eagle Scout for life.

-Mike

That statement is certainly true.  Thank you for catching that because if I were to not claim that anymore I may have to give up the Henry Rifle that is hanging up on the wall in my workshop.

[/quote]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, »
Hi Corey,

Excellant job with the cub scouts

I was in the boy scouts for a short time (pack shut down, people in charge had a medical problem and no one continue it). Most fun thing we did was go to the coast guard for a tour and a short ride on a boat. My mom did a year with the girl scouts and some how I got roped into helping with them.

Thanks for taking the time with them

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline CB

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the appreciation, however it is not about me at all.  I am merely the person that brought them RJ's creation.  Who knows perhaps these boys will become addicts themselves too.  I know one of them is well on his way currently (mini me). 

If it were not for RJ, DLA or all the coop mangers I wouldn't have been able to do this.  I hope to see more, as my plan for 2011 is to have them help build an LE and possibly sync a song.
In November I showed them how I coordinate construction projects with 3d design and now I think they believe I play video games at work.  I could be so lucky.

Thanks all and keep up the good work.  I am working on a coro flag with the BSA logo since this year my cause will be for them and the USO.

Thanks,
Corey