Author Topic: New Dongle windows reports has a problem  (Read 3265 times)

Offline tonyv2842

New Dongle windows reports has a problem
« on: April 07, 2011, »
Hey Folks,
I built 4 dongles, 3 work just fine, the 4th is giving me grief.  The red led goes on and off about three times then stays off and windows says that the usb device "has a problem."  All solder joints and parts orientation look correct.  Anybody have any ideas?
Is this or could this be the USB module?
Thanks!
Tony

Offline tbone321

Re: New Dongle windows reports has a problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, »
It could be the USB module but it could aso be a short or a bad component on the board.  I would suggest taking some close-up pictures of the dongle (front and back) and post them here so that we can take a look at it.  Excessive current draw on the USB adapter can cause this as well as the USB adapter itself being defective. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, »
Here are some pics.

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, »
Some more of the bottom of the board.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, by tonyv2842 »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, »
on the usb connector...

I don't see pin1 (square) poking through.

and check between pins 4 and 5, is that accidently bridged?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, »
Looking at your board I would agree with chrisatpsu that it looks like pin one might be damage and pins 4 and 5 might be bridged on the USB module . It also looks like the solder joints on the MOSFET need to be touched up and maybe a few cold solder joints on the board. I highlighted what might be some problem areas on the board.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rich

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, »
I really appreciate the help!

I retouched all of what you guys pointed out, also, the bridge was some flux that I cleaned off and pin 1 was short on the module right out of the box.  The pin is flush with the bottom of the board, also, I don't think it connects to anything on the board  although I don't have a blank board to confirm that.  It's still doing the same thing unfortunately.  Any other ideas to troubleshoot this?

T

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, »
i saw the top side of the board with the resistors...  there's a lot of solder that came through from the bottom.  I would be concerned if that happened with the usb jack, or pic jack, and check to make sure there isnt a short top side

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, »
I have checked that no adjacent pins on the usb module, pic, line driver or opto isolator are shorted.  None are.  Windows still says "USB device not recognized".... "A device connected to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows doesn't recognize it."
 >.d9

Offline rm357

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, »
You may have already tried this, but if not, try swapping the PIC with one of your other dongles.

I don't know the inner workings of the dongle, but the USB module and the PIC have to work together. Most of the other parts are after the PIC and would not interfere with the USB communications...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, »
Hi,

The only thing you need for the usb to connect to the computer ok is the usb module soldered to the pcb.

So the pic would not cause this issue.

What would?

Bad Usb module.
Mis soldered usb module or bridge somewhere on one of the lines connected to the module.
Bad cable

This is about all I can thing of that would do it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, »
this sometimes seems too simple, but have you restarted your computer lately?

and try someone else's idea of turning off the usb controlled sleep

Quote from: JimWright
Since my post on March 29th, I have had no more problems. I should have posted how I got there. Yours is a great way. Here is what I did. Hopefully it will help others:

Start > control panel > power options > click on "Change plan settings" (which is to the right of which ever preferred plan you have selected) > click on "Change advanced power settings" > click on the + button to the left of USB Settings > Click on the + button to the left of "USB selective suspend setting" > click on the "enabled" setting to change it to "disabled" > click on Apply > then OKs to back out and you are done.

This is, in essence, what taybrynn did above. This is just the direct way without using the search box. I hope that this helps others.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, »
Also, with the device plugged in and giving that error message, there should be a yellow mark in device manager, see if the reason is something similar to the device was previously loaded into memory, and never released.

i used to get that with constantly plugging in, and unplugging my usb jump drives all the time without ejecting them first.

a restart solves that problem

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, »
I don't think that rebooting would fix this problem but it is quick and easy to try.  As RJ said, the only thing that the USB module needs to work is to be soldered to the board.  This symptom and the error message given by Windows indicates that the USB module is drawing excessive current fom the port causing it to be shut down which would both cause the Red LED on the dongle to turn off and Windows to report that type of error.  IIRC, pin one is a power pin on the USB module and needs to be soldered to the board.  If the pin is folded under the module, it caould cause a short and that condition really needs to be corrected.  If not, then try using a different USB cable to start.  Another thing I would check is the socket on the USB module to make sure that there isn't anything in there that could cause a short.  You could also remove all of the chips from their sockets on the dongle and see if the PC recognizes the module then.  If so then start plugging the chips back in and plug the module back in after each chip is replaced to see which one is causing the failure.  If a chip appear to be causing the failure, then replace it with one from a working dongle to confirm that it is the chip and not an issue with the chips supporting circuitry.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, »
On my second dongle build I had the same problem.  In my case, "IF" I plugged and unplugged the usb about 100 times or so it would finally boot up OK.  As long as I kept it plugged in it was OK.  If I unplugged it, then it went back to the error.  I only got it to work twice.  The oscillator failed on my first dongle and I scrapped the #2 and fixed #1.  #2 is now for parts.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login