Author Topic: Feature request: optional command line between songs?  (Read 3867 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Feature request: windows command between songs.

This would support a lot of stop-gap things that perhaps xlights doesn't do.

I've found the LOR version of this very handy indeed.

One thing that a lot of people use is the LOR "windows command" which allows us to run a .bat file
between songs to update our RDS information (song title) before each new song plays.

I'm not sure if LOR is storing this in the file, but it would be nice to support a generic
windows command between songs, if possible.  It would just be a system command and
could be backgrounded.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline FireMedic4Christ

I would agree. RDS adds a "wow" factor to the show and always makes the crowd wonder how you did that.

Brian

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
What might work is having the ability to optionally associate a .bat file with a .lms file ... and if that association exists, you just
background launch the .bat file before playing the .lms file .
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
You can do a LOT with the Scripting function - I remember talking to Matt about this last year and playign around with it.  I could open files write to them and so on.  Other projects took over but shouldn't be to hard to script lauching a file into your show.

Harrison

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Cool, cause the way the EDM RDS works ... you just put the name of the song to a text file ... and its running a process which sends the RDS data whenever that file changes.

What the relationship of the scripting language to xlights ?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Cool, cause the way the EDM RDS works ... you just put the name of the song to a text file ... and its running a process which sends the RDS data whenever that file changes.

What the relationship of the scripting language to xlights ?

You might want to see this link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Matt talks about scripting and mentions RDS

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tpctech

Yes we need this!!  I run my show with LOR and use the command file to run a bat file with varibles to push different "Canned" strings to my RDS on 1 com port and my beta bright sign on another com port.  My show computer has 3 com ports for all of this!  Having a internal serial to IP mapping would be nice to!

KEN

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
Yes we need this!!  I run my show with LOR and use the command file to run a bat file with varibles to push different "Canned" strings to my RDS on 1 com port and my beta bright sign on another com port.  My show computer has 3 com ports for all of this!  Having a internal serial to IP mapping would be nice to!

KEN

If you are just sending commands to another serial port, there is no need for a command file. The scripting language in xLights can handle serial communication directly. The scripting reference is available here:

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline tpctech

KEN

If you are just sending commands to another serial port, there is no need for a command file. The scripting language in xLights can handle serial communication directly. The scripting reference is available here:

Matt

Cool!

That will work!

KEN

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
OK, so it sounds like this is indirectly already supported (?) via. some script that xlights already uses/creates (?), and I can then add my own script/LUA command to call the RDS batch file ... something like: os.execute("c:\start _rds.bat") ... sound right?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, by taybrynn »

Offline FireMedic4Christ

Re: Feature request: optional command line between songs?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, »
bump

dandyman

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, »
Has anyone been able to add RDS output to the script file? If so, could you post a sample?

thanks !!

Dan

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, »
I am also interested in this.

I know in LOR, I just wrote a shell script that I called ... and I passed it the name of the song on the command line ... and it updated a text file for rds (like rds.txt) containing the RDS text (per song) ... which the EDM tx and miniRDS would use to transmit the RDS data from.

This is why having a command line would be great, esp. if you could add it between songs or associate a song with an optional command line that runs prior to the song starting.

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, »
This is now possible in xLights. See the EXEC command example in the 2011c version announcement.

Matt
Matt Brown

dandyman

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, »
Cool !!!!!

Thanks !!!