Author Topic: Wireless to/from XLR connectors  (Read 2170 times)

Offline canuckcam

Wireless to/from XLR connectors
« on: April 14, 2011, »

Hi everyone... I bought into the v2 coop... and I'm just looking for some info about interfacing the Express receiver with a simple 3ch DMX LED string driver that takes an RJ45 or XLR connector.

I've found this in the Wiki but it doesn't say how to wire up the Express receiver for RJ45 connections like the Tx/Rx which has an RJ45 connector. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
Re: Wireless to/from XLR connectors
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, »
Someone else may have a better answer but I don't think you'd find an easy way to do this using the Express Receiver (EX/RX) Ver 2 unit.  When used to add wireless to something other than an Lynx Express it uses an 8 pin DIP adapter and it in effect replaces the "RS485" chip on that device and draws it's power from that device as well.  Here's a link to information on that modification.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think you'd be better off using the Wireless TX/RX Ver 2 unit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login set as a receiver and just connect it to your LED string driver with a Cat 5 cable.

Just my humble opinion.

Alan T

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, »
I agree with Alan, most people have said that when connecting a ex/rx to a non-DLA equipment, it's hard to factor in the power draw the receiver will place on that component.

even with the ssr4's, it's a good idea to not mount the led's on if you're modding for wireless. it has to do with how much power you're getting from it's transformer to power the ssr4, and the ex/rx.

the TX/RX (standalone wireless) is nicer, b/c it has it's own power cord, so doesn't rely on the connected equipment for power.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, »
In order to use an EX/RX with a RS485 DMX device, you would need to add a power supply and RS485 transceiver.  Might as well go with a standard TX/RX (or older RX), as that already has everything you need.

/mike

Offline canuckcam

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, »
Hmm... I guess I should've asked this question before ordering three Ex/Rx's on the current co-op.... oops. I suppose I can build an RS485 circuit on an add-on perfboard....?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, »
i made a guide to help people determine which wireless equipment they need from the coop to run their devices...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In it, I posted..
FOR RECEIVING
if you want to receive to any dmx device...
you need
TX/RX pcb, case, and parts (kits 1,2,& 3)
you can place this anywhere, and connect to a device, then continue with other devices with cat5 cable (also note, the TX/RX has a power cable to power it) (jumper set to RX)

I posted it March 28th, hoping people would see it and have a better understanding of which item they needed to get their equipment working.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, »
Hey Guys is it possible to just put a XLR connector on the RX/TX instead of the RJ-45? ALSO is this considered changing his design? if it is, then i wont do it,i will just try to get an adapter  caz  i know RJ doesnt want us to change his designs. i was wondering if thats even possible. caz i have this old chauvet dmx controlar laying around in my garage and i wanna use that to  program sum basic lights i have.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, »
It is certainly possible to wire a panel-mount XLR instead of the RJ45 when building a TX/RX.  I don't think that's the kind of changes that RJ is worried about (it's not a safety issue, and you aren't trying to resell or manufacture them, just making one for yourself).

I went with the adapter cable just so all of my units are the same (that way I can swap them out as needed).
/mike

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, »
Oh ok .. no, when i saw his videos and read sum stuff i was under the impression that he didnt like us changing things around...AT ALL, especially caz from what he said, things get complicated/confusing and ppl might not be able to help you.Besides, the man came up with the design and brought it to life.. and i wouldnt want to change it if he didnt like that, JUST OUT OF RESPECT you know.

The reason why i wanna put an XLR connector is because,I really dont know if i would be able to make an adapter, and i am afraid to purchase one from online and have it Not work, because the wires are connecting to different pins internally, you get what i m saying???

Mike, If you have used these adapters please tell me more about it. as in where and what did you use it for, obviously if it worked out or not..

And if its not too much trouble would you be able to tell me more about how do i go about doing what i want to do.. which is just put an xlr connector as oppose to the Rj-45?? thanks you sir, for you input. :)