Author Topic: FM Transmitter Research for Wiki page  (Read 11814 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
FM Transmitter Research for Wiki page
« on: April 18, 2011, »
Hi Folks,

Looking for information to help build a wiki FM transmitter page.

Please state: Transmitter Make and Model - Do you like it or not - Any mods or add ons - Antenna type - Would you buy it again - any other comments

Many Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: FM Transmitter Research for Wiki page
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, »
I have a Ramsey FM25B.  Using a homemade antenna that I won at a Christmas mini that was made by a ham radio operator.  I get way better distance than I need.  I bought the Ramsey off ebay already assembled.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, »
EDM-LCD-RDS-EP

Fantastic transmitter, used for 2 years, this year will be number 3, I leave my transmitter on 24-7 during the season, when the show isn't playing, the frequency is dead silent. Easy to "assemble", solder the power connector, install the chips, and you are done. They are pricey, but if you want a bulletproof transmitter, spend the money. I am using the provided "test" antenna. I would highly recommend this transmitter.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, by bisquit476 »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, »
thanks guys for the feedback

I will assume you both like your transmitters and would recommend them to fellow members

If anybody got a bad transmitter please let us know so we can tell people to avoid it it possible.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, »
I have a Vastelec FM02 that I picked up during a group buy last November.  I don't transmit music for my Christmas display so I haven't tried it out long term.  I got it because I do transmit sound for my Halloween display and I wanted something better than my modded Belkin.  Short term tests I ran using a homemade dipole antenna had amazing results.  I think I paid somewhere around $35.  Comes as two boards and a couple of ribbon cables to connect them together.

As for the Belkin, it worked great when the receiver was a car radio.  I could get about half a block away before it started to drop out.  But the range was less than 30 ft when I was using a portable stereo, which was what I needed to use for my Halloween display.       

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, »
I purchased one of each, the Vastelec FM01 and a Vastelec FM02.  I built dipole antennas using RG-58/U (left over from the ol’ 10Base2 Ethernet days) and both transmitters work flawlessly. 

It is extremely critical that exactly 12VDC of perfectly regulated power feeds a Vastelec transmitter, a lower quality regulated wall-wart won’t do - the hum will drive you crazy.  It’s also very important to use a shielded stereo cable between the computer sound card and the Vastelec transmitter, using a standard speaker cable will pick up noise from Mars.  I have balun chokes on the power lines and on the antennas.

At one house, I use the FM01 transmitter almost year round, playing my own tunes a good .5 mile in all directions.   The FM02 runs at my other house nearly every day of the year but with its elevation I can pick it up nearly a mile away.  Stereo separation is excellent with either transmitter.

Neither transmitter offers RDS, which is fine with me, I’d rather have folks watching the blinky-flashy and not reading their radio.

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, »
I used the EDM transmitter with a RCA to BNC converter and a BNC swivel mount antenna.

Transmitter: EDM-LCD-CS-EP
RCA to BNC: MCM 33-510 Female BNC to Male RCA Adaptor ($1.79)
Antenna: MCM 72-6601 Swivel Base BNC Antenna ($12.79)

I mounted it to a PVC stand that I made and used a twist tie to make the antenna close to verticle.
Even with the transmitter set for about 2 mw, the sound was crystal clear ~1000 ft away. No hum, no noise - just nice and clean audio in stereo.

The antenna collapses to about 6 inches for storage.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, »
EDM-LCD-RDS-EP ... using LOR command option to send RDS data via. .bat batch file and
miniRDS running in background to convey RDS to Tx everytime the rds.dat changes.

Using a $5 rabbit ears antenna (ebay) adjusted to length per FM frequency selected,
$2 rca F-conn adapter (ebay).  Included test antenna likely to work for many.  Using a
better antenna may result in excessive range.  Power adjustable between 1mW and 100mW (1/10 of 1 watt).

Running through Breakaway Audio Enhancer 1.30.02, in FM Mode, 'Eruption' preset,
breakaway volume adjusted to desired loudness in car tuner.  Previously used Behringer
DSP1424P and find Breakaway to be similar and easier to use.

Beside very slight hum from power supply between songs, sounds like a powerful professional radio station.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, »
I also using the  EDM transmitter   ;D
Astron RS7A 7 Amp Regulated Power Supply like this one in the link

there no hum from power supply  8)
Jerry Plak

Offline kenlmcse

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, »
I use a Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000 with a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna. I can broadcast about 3 tenths of a mile with no static. Sound quality is excellent. The only thing with a MBB unit is you have to be aware, if you shut it down you have to wait 10 minutes for it to discharge before you can repower it. It has something to do with a built in compressor.

I tried a J-Pole antenna - it does not broadcast as far as it does with the 1/4 wave ground plane antenna.

I have also found that sending the sound through a Behringer Compressor/limiter greatly increases sound quality.

If I have to buy another transmitter I will get an EDM.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, »

I use this transmitter.  It transmit in fine quality stereo and from inside my home.  I use it year round for the house and I have one for the gym we own.  Very easy to control for the FCC minded people.

100mW/ 500mW (Power adj.) 76-108Mhz Home FM TRANSMITTER (Black) + Antenna+Power Supply

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, »
The EDM EDM-LCD-CS-EP is a budget buy for $159 shipped.

The next step up is model EDM-TX-LCD-EP for $205 shipped.

The mac daddy is the RDS model EDM-LCD-RDS-EP for $249 shipped.

You can't find anything at this price that sounds better or is more reliable, IMHO.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline CW

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, »
I used the Whole House Transmitter for the 1st and 2nd year shows.  It was painfully bad sound and static.  If you were parked in my 25' driveway, it was tolerable.  But out in the street - bad.  I do not recommend the WH transmitter.

Then I bought the EDM LCD RDS unit.  It is great.  Easy to assemble and setup.  I use rabbit ears left over from an old TV set at the right length for the frequency, and lashed to a PVC pipe. I highly recommend this unit. I used it for 2 years now, and in off season, I have it connected to my receiver and broadcast my music to radios in our home.

Craig

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, »
My first year just like everyone else is a major learning curve.  The transmitter selection was one I took months researching. The internet was my resource and and went to forums of professional and amateur audiophiles.

The one thing that kept coming up was the flea powered personnel transmitters everyone uses and why.

The winner by a wide margin was the EDM LCD models.  Looking at the technical data of the specified and actual operation the EDM by far outperformed the competition. 

I have used my EDM for 3 years and never had an issue in my display. The transmitter is actually mounted outside in my display on my front porch.  Has operated down in the mid 20F degree range with out any drift.

just my 2 cents.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline magic8192

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, »
I have the EDM-TX-100 and it has seen service for 2 years in my show without any problem.  I created an antenna using TV rabbit ears.  Your antenna length is dependent on the channel you are broadcasting on.  Simply adjust the rabbit ears and tape them for the frequency you are broadcasting on.  I get good solid reception for about 300 yards and people can pick it up and listen for  about 1/2 mile.