Author Topic: FM Transmitter Research for Wiki page  (Read 11813 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: FM Transmitter Research for Wiki page
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, »
I also use the rabbit ears solution.  It approx. doubles the high-quality range I was getting using the included "test antenna" (a 1m wire).

Can be mounted a variety of ways, which is up to to you.

I have FOUR of the those kits I was going to sell as EDM antenna upgrade kits but never got around to it.

Its the rabbit ears antenna, a 6' 1/8 (headphone/audio line out) male to dual RCA male cable/cord and a female F-conn to male RCA antenna adapter. 

Will sell to anyone interested for $20 (shipping incl. to domestic lower 48).
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, »
I use a EDM-TX-LCD-EP it includes the following. 10/100mW PCB, Parts, LCD display,Antenna, Regulated 12V PSU,Metal enclosure    RF adjustable (1-10mW and 2-100mW)

I used it last year for my first year bradcasting my show and i am real happy with it. I have a compressor in line for a even better sound quality( sound is outstanding without it). I use a home made ground plane antenna made out of a old cb antenna with the insides out for the frequency im running on, with antenna rods off a tv antenna running 4 ways. I also have a power meter for it inline so i can see how much power im pumping out.

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, »
I have a Vastelec FM02 that I just got from group buy from another site.  For the price ($36ish) it appears it will work fine for my show.  It came with an antenna and transmits about 200 feet in the testing I have done.  From the reading I have done, it is my understanding that in order not to violate the FCC rules, the reception should start to drop off at that distance.  The only downside to the FM02 is it does not come with a case and requires a regulated 12 VDC source of power.

Offline SGInut

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, »
Been using a Vastelec FM02 now for 2 years on a folded dipole antenna and can get clear sound out to near 1/4 mile line of sight.  Have to agree on the downside of not having a case however there are several polycase's that fit it nicely and the need for a regulated power supply.  It's a really good starter transmitter until you feel the need for an EDM (just can't qualify the cost).

Offline mcangeli

• Original Gangsta
    • Mcangeli
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, »
I picked up a CZH-5C from ebay the other day, its been plugged in and running since I got it and I'm able to hear the music I'm broad casting throughout my whole neighborhood.

Works well with the antenna that came with it.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, »
I picked up a CZH-5C from ebay the other day, its been plugged in and running since I got it and I'm able to hear the music I'm broad casting throughout my whole neighborhood.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but a 1-watt transmitter that can be heard "throughout my whole neighborhood" is clearly in violation of Part 15. If you're stepping on someone's favorite far-away legitimate broadcaster, the guys in the suits and dark sun glasses will be making an appearance on your doorstep.

I'd add an attenuator to that rig to get it down so that it can only be heard for 200 feet ... if  you live in a suburb, that probably means no further than three or four houses away.

Again, what I'm trying to avoid is creating a perception that Christmas-lights people violate Part 15 and that a memo gets sent out to all FCC offices, telling them to shut down all Christmas-lights shows.

Please follow the rules.

Thanks.

\dmc

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, »

Sweet!  I got the CZH-5C also.  It is a 5 watt transmitter (watt meter says 7+).  It does not have the switch for the low power option on it.  They did not offer them when this one was bought.  I built 7 foot  J-Pole antenna and put it on my roof.  It transmits a solid 2+ miles in all directions.   >.d9
Shoot.... I can light my lights on my roof without evening plugging them into my lynx.
                                                              <la..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, by trekster »
My 2010 Videos

Offline rm357

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, »
Woah guys,

DMACCOLE has it right. This is one area where bigger is not better. If you start causing interference and someone complains, the FCC will come looking for you. The larger an area you cover, the greater the probability that you will either cause interference or some Christmas hating grinch will pick you up on their radio and then seek to shut you down by complaining.

I'm only putting out about 2 mw and I'm covering the entire block surrounding my house and thinking maybe I need to trim my power down a little... 7 Watts is asking for trouble...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, »
I really only use a 500mw  transmitter.   200 feet will not even get to the street on my 2.5 acres.  I could not resist the fun.  In my yard I can burn trash, shoot off fireworks and shoot my guns.  I can add on to my house without getting permits.  It is nice here out in the country side.  I am not in any city limits  ;D  I know it can be serious trouble using stronger transmitters.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline tbone321

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, »
LOL, I though that's what you were doing.  I also live on a large lot outside of the city limits and 200 feet would also either not get past my property lines or if I set the transmitter at the street it would not clear my next door neighbors property on either side.  The thing is that you have to use common sense wen setting up your transmitter.  The law is the law but the FCC has neither the desire or the resources to hunt down everyone who is a few mills above the legal limit but if they start getting complaints, then they are obligated to investigate and take action if required.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, »
I have the vastelec and the EDM LCD with RDS.  I used the Vastelec FM02 for 2 years with good sound.  I used a homemade dipole the first year and a ground plane from Dennis the second year.  Sound and range were good.  Last year I upgraded to the EDM LCD with RDS.  I used the same ground plane antenna for the same frequency and sound was clearer than with the Vastelec.  I also got RDS which while not necessary, was way cool.

I'm very happy with the EDM LCD RDS version.  It only requires soldering on the power connection, which is three solder joints.  Very easy to setup.

Ron

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, »
I have 3 transmitters, none of which I consider perfect. I guess I will just have to fork over the $$ for an EDM unit someday.

1) A modded Belkin which I used for two years with good results.
2) A 1W/5W switchable unit purchased off eBay. Obviously non-compliant, but wow, the sound is crystal clear. However, even at 1W and with lots of obstructions (houses), it will transmit more than a mile, which is way too far in my case.
3) A Vastelec FM02 which I run with the ground-plane antenna that came with the eBay unit. Sound quality is better than the Belkin, but nothing close to the eBay unit.

I've run Breakaway with all of these, and I highly recommend it.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, »
2) A 1W/5W switchable unit purchased off eBay. Obviously non-compliant, but wow, the sound is crystal clear. However, even at 1W and with lots of obstructions (houses), it will transmit more than a mile, which is way too far in my case.

...snip ...

I've run Breakaway with all of these, and I highly recommend it.

Matt:

A comment and a question:

*I was able to take an out-of-spec FM transmitter (1w) and get it into spec by using an inline attenuator. Much about the cost depends on the type of connectors you use, but I was able to find one for my RG58 BNC connectors (20db) for $10 on eBay. In addition, while I use a vanilla dipole, it is below grade on the street side of my house (in the basement), which is a good attenuator in its own right.

*Do you use the $30 Breakaway or the $200 Breakaway?

Thanks.

\dmc

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, »
Thanks for the suggestion!

I use the $30 version of Breakaway.

Matt
Matt Brown