Author Topic: Lynx Combiner  (Read 8797 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Lynx Combiner
« on: April 23, 2011, »
This is the little pcb I did to let me hook up to 4 dongles together and make a pixelnet feed for all 16,384 channels of a pixelnet multiverse.

I am going to have a little coop for them soon and get some made. They cost little and only take five rj45 jacks for parts. I am doing this since some users are going to use multiple dongles this year and it will help them get them out in one cat cable to the hubs.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

Re: Lynx Combiner
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, »
Wow thinking of everything.

Nice RJ

-JS

Offline pete peters

Re: Lynx Combiner PCB's or CoOp?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, »
RJ;

When will the PCB's be available?   or  better yet

When will a CoOp be starting?

Thanks Much

Pete Peters

Offline tng5737

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, »
I'm confused - I thought the Ethernet Dongle was going to handle 16k channels?

Offline batdive

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, »
TNG -

Your right, but since that will probably not be ready until next year, RJ made the combiner so you can take 4 regular Lynx dongles (reprogrammed with PixalNet) and combine them into 1 CAT cable instead of having 4.

-JS

Offline mnarel

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, »
This looks to be in lieu of a pixel net dongle (no release date yet).  The purpose is to take the output from four regular dmx dongles and combine the signals to be carried from the combiner on one cat5 cable to the daisied pixlenet hubs.   Without this, you'd have to have individual cat5 cables running from each dmx dongle all the way to individual hubs, none of which could handle more than the 4064  channels (1354 nodes)  a single dmx dongle can output.  

Ethernet dongle will make this superfluous.... once it hits the streets.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, »
the output of 4 Lynx Dongles (with upgraded firmware for Pixelnet)  supporting 4096 channels
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, »
I will coop the pcb as soon as the new passive 4 port hub prototype pcb is here and tested. They will be on the same coop.

RJ

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, »
woot! woot!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline pugs1501

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, »
I know how this combiner works with pixelnet by taking 4 - 4000 channel networks and combining them into one 16000 network. My question is can this combiner be used to combine DMX universes so you have 4 dongles with 512 channels each go in to the combiner to make 2000 channels of DMX. Thank you in advance for thinking over my question.

Adam

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know how this combiner works with pixelnet by taking 4 - 4000 channel networks and combining them into one 16000 network. My question is can this combiner be used to combine DMX universes so you have 4 dongles with 512 channels each go in to the combiner to make 2000 channels of DMX. Thank you in advance for thinking over my question.

Adam
Hi Adam

The combiner really is designed for the Lynx USB Dongle. The dongle firmware determines if its using pixelnet or DMX.  The only gotcha is the other end of the cat5 cable which is suppose to be connected to the 16 port SS Hub. Just thinking out loud you will have to split the 4 pairs of the cat5 cable for each dmx universe.

Or I could be totally wrong

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, »

Adam
Hi Adam

The combiner really is designed for the Lynx USB Dongle. The dongle firmware determines if its using pixelnet or DMX.  The only gotcha is the other end of the cat5 cable which is suppose to be connected to the 16 port SS Hub. Just thinking out loud you will have to split the 4 pairs of the cat5 cable for each dmx universe.

Or I could be totally wrong

Cheers

Rick R.

I see where this is going - if you used 2 combiner's so dongle 1,2,3,4 => combiner => CAT5 => combiner = Unv 1, Unv 2, Unv 3, Unv 4

All it is doing is utilizing the wiring ... it is the same theory the SS-Hub is using.  But I may be WAY off but makes since as I type.

Harrison

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, »
Each connector on the combiner connects its pins 1 & 2 to a different pair of wires in the combined cat5 cable. If you put a combiner on each end, you should be able to trunk 4 dmx universes over 1 cat5 using the second combiner as a splitter. The only question is whether or not crosstalk between the pairs could become a problem on a very long run... (like across the street or down the block)

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, »
I doubt that cross talk is going to be much of an issue with CAT5.  If it were CAT3 or flat phone wire then I would be concerned but not with CAT5.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, »
Cross talk will not be an issue as they are each on their own intact pair.

I love seeing you guys start seeing the big picture!

RJ