Author Topic: Lynx Combiner  (Read 8796 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Lynx Combiner
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, »
my intention was to use two pixelnet dongles, and 2 dmx dongles   going into the combiner.  1-2 pixelnet  3-4 dmx

then when i got to my first device, then breakout by using a combiner (hooked up backwards to split)

say it was an express, 1-2 would just jumper (short ethernet cable) into another combiner
one of the 3-4 would go into the express, then output into the combiner, the last dmx channel would go back into the combiner

then all 4 could run to the next device.

now, if i wanted to branch off something (maybe i wanted one of my pixelnet to go off in a new direction, then i'd just not hook that line up again, and just send it off in the direction it needed to go.

originally i was going to get 10 combiners, before i had to drop out
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, »
This sounds far more complicated than it needs to be but if that is what works for you then go for it.  I will just let the SmartString hubs break out the DMX for me.  I have ordered one combiner just in case the Ethernet Hub is not completed in time so that if I need more than 1 PixelNet universe to deal with everything, I'm good to go with multiple Lynks dongles flashed for PixelNet.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, »
well, i wanted to keep my pixelnet, and dmx seperate. so i dont lose my mind in the sequencing software.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
well, i wanted to keep my pixelnet, and dmx seperate. so i dont lose my mind in the sequencing software.

ahhh, Come on lose your mind. ITS FUN  ;D

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, »
I guess that's the part that I don't understand.  All you need to do is reserve either the first or last 512 addresses for DMX and they are seperated.  If you need more than 512 DMX channels then as long as you have more than 1 SmartString hub, reserve either the first or last 1024 channels for DMX and have the one hub deliver the first DMX universe and another hub can deliver the other one.  The reason that I'm suggesting this is that this way you can keep your seperation while saving the cost of two to three dongles as well as a few combiners.  It will also be a much more simple configuration and much less load on the PC with it driving 1 dongle compared to trying to drive  up to 4 seperate dongles.  But the great thing about DIY is that for the most part you have the freedom to do it the way that you want to so if you do it the way you initially suggested, please post the results.  I'm curious to see how this way works, both good and bad.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, by tbone321 »

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, »
tbone,

You do understand a lynx dongle can only output a quarter of a pixlenet universe and to get the full universe you need 4 doungles and a combiner to getit                         

Offline tbone321

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, »
tbone,

You do understand a lynx dongle can only output a quarter of a pixlenet universe and to get the full universe you need 4 doungles and a combiner to getit                         

I am sorry my friend but you are the one that is incorrect.  A PixelNt universe is 4096 channels and IS put out in full by a SINGLE Lynks dongle flashed for PixelNet.  The combiner allows you to put out up to 4 PixelNet universes on a single cable just like the Ethernet Dongle will do when released

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, »
The confusion probably lies in the fact that all of our dongles currently can only do the 512, until RJ releases the pixelnet firmware for the dongle to the masses. Then we will all be able to convert each one to do the 4096 channels as Tbone is talking about. As for not getting confused, doesn't all of the software let you color code each channel, so I would think it wouldn't be that hard to had all the stuff, DMX and Pixelnet, at once, and then just color the similar stuff together in the software. I think I am going to like the way Lightshow Pro does it with the Layers, so you can hide everything that isn't in that layer.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, »
I don't think that that is the issue.  I think that where people are getting confused is thinking that the 16384 channel output of the upcoming Ethernet dongle is one PixelNet universe.  That is simply not the case.  The Ethernet dongle produces this massive channel count by producing 4 seperate PixelNet universes, each one on its own pair.  If you look at the 16 port hub, you will see a set of jumpers that tell it which pair (or universe) that the hub will be working with.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, »
This is correct.

There is never more than 4096 channels in a pixelnet universe. 

One active Hub = 1 universe. No hub will output more than 4096 channels to the SSC's attached to it. It will always be the 4096 channels it is jumpered to operate on.

A cat5 cable can carry up to 4 pixelnet universes by either being hooked to a combiner getting the data from Lynx Dongles flashes with pixelnet code or by being plugged into a EtherDongle which will put the 4 universes on the same cat5 itself.

When you have multiple pixelnet universes (8192 or 12288 or 16384 channels) together on the cable this is called a multiverse.

So something puts out pixelnet (1 - 4 universes on the wire)  then the hub picks the 4096 channels of one of the universes based on your jumper setting on that hub. Then it outputs all 4096 channels to the SSC's hooked to it. It also then outputs 512 channels of that 4096 DMX. Which of 4096 is output as DMX is selected by a jumper on the hub picking one of the eight sections of 512 channels inside 4096 channel.  1-512, 513-1024, 1025 - 1536 .....

So if you want to have a hub on pixelnet universe 2 the first channel address it sees is 4097, If you then jumper the DMX to output the 8th section of it's channels as DMX your DMX channel one would start at channel #7681.

This is because your hub starts at 4097 (universe #2)  your DMX is the eigth set of DMX inside of them so you are skipping the first 7 sections of 512 channels. 
4097 + 7 * 512 =  7681

This Excel sheet makes it easy for you. 

Rick will you post this in the wiki for me with the Smart Strings information?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, »
So if you want to use all 4096 for SSCs would you just not jumper any of the DMX jumpers?
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, »
So if you want to use all 4096 for SSCs would you just not jumper any of the DMX jumpers?

You can always use all 4096 for the SSC even when you are send DMX out. The DMX out does not remove the channels it just makes DMX data from them and sends it out.

So the real answer is you can jumper any DMX jumper and use all 4096 on the SSC's.

Hope this clears it up for you.

RJ

Offline tng5737

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, »
So if you jumper DMX to start at 1 - 512, then the Pixelnet address are still 1-4096?   Also when daisy chaining the hubs is the second hub in the same universe as hub 1 or can it be universe 2?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, »
So if you jumper DMX to start at 1 - 512, then the Pixelnet address are still 1-4096?   Also when daisy chaining the hubs is the second hub in the same universe as hub 1 or can it be universe 2?

If you are using the lynx dongle it can only be on the same universe as the other hub. Since that dongle can only send out one universe.

If you are using two or more lynx dongles and using the combiner then the other hub can be on the second universe.

If you are using the not released yet EtherDongle than the other hub or hubs can be any of the 4 universes.

Cheers

Rick R.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, »
Yes if you use DMX #1 and universe #1 then the channels are all still 1 - 4096. The pixelnet channels avaliable are 1 - 4096.
You have DMX coming out of the hub matching 1 - 512 of pixelnet.

So if you want 512 channels of DMX and then the start of your pixels, you address you first dmx device to start at channel #1 and you first SSC would be addressed to start at channel #513.

It is much simpler than you are thinking.  The hub always puts out the 4096 channels of pixelnet it is set to no matter what you do with the dmx. The dmx is just a copy of 512 channels of the pixelnet converted to DMX for you to use on DMX items.

So if you move your DMX to #2 then it is all the same for pixelnet 1 - 4096 but now your 512 channels of DMX will match pixelnet Channels 513-1023 but you will still have pixelnet 1 - 4096 going to your SSC's so if you have a SSC addressed at ch 513 and a dmx device addressed as #1 (1st channel of second dmx group in the pixelnet 4096 = 513)  they see the same data.

Now it you are using a Combiner on your dongles or the Etherdongle you can daisy chain the data from hub #1 to hub #2 and set hub #2 to pixelnet universe #2 and it can get the pixelnet channels # 4097 -  8193. You can then set the hub #2 DMX output to #1 and get channels 4097 - 4609 (512ch) out of it as DMX.

Hope this helps.

RJ