Author Topic: clock not working  (Read 12434 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: clock not working
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nothing across the top cap, but the bush buttons are not installed on the board.

The buttons would not have effect on this. With it powered up you should have 3.3v on that capacitor so we have an issue. Pm me and setup a time and day to work with me in Teamspeak we will troubleshoot it and get it working.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, »
pm sent
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, »
Well on my second try I have been a little less medicated and more careful and only messed up installing one chip socket. A little desodering and three messed up traces I have finished. Powered it up and I have one led lit (21 seconds). The chips I used were from the coop, I believe there they came programed I took some voltage readings and I have 3.3 v at the caps I checked.  ........ any suggestions?   ???  

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, »
May want to verify your select push buttons are not backwards.
Push the button and see what it changes

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, »
I put them with the tab on the hole in the mother board..... and I have pushed the buttons and removed the battery and let it sit, then plugged it back in and the same thing, the 21st second light comes on and stays on. <fp.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, by therealbigjim »

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, »
Ok, so I know I am  a little impatient but I decided to try to program the Aeon with my shiny new Picit 3. After blundering around installing Picit on my computer I got the program installed and the Picit 3 devise loaded and communicating with the computer. I connected the Picit to the Aeon (set on 3 volts) and I got an error message
 PICkit 3 detected Connecting to PICkit 3...
 Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.43 Firmware type......................PIC18F PICkit 3 Connected. Target Detected Target Device ID (00000000) does not match expected Device ID (00000420).

I then went to the wiki page and copied the aeon .hex file. I saved it om my computer. I then opened the file and attempted to load it.. I got the error message;

Programming... The following memory regions failed to program correctly: Program Memory Address: 00000001 Expected Value: 00000002 Received Value: 00000000 Programming failed.

These were coop chips from my failed first build do I decided to install the new blank chips that came with my order from Mouser.  I got the same message and not the 21st second led is not on ......

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, »
It sounds like there might be a solder bridge or two  under the control chip..

(just my thougt.)_

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, »
Ok I see a major issue. The unit is not an 18f pic it is a 24f pic. So the programmer needs to be set to the correct chip. If you can schedule some time this weekend I can get one teamspeak and we can do some troubleshooting to get you heading in a better direction. I really want you to get your clock working.

RJ

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, »
with the pickit 3, you have to choose the model of your PIC from the drop down list. you might need to update the firmware on your pickit 3 also, (which can be done by opening MPLAB)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, »
Well, Thank you, I knew something was up when I saw the drop down for all the chip types. Two other things, first , I am having a carpel tunnel release done on my right hand Friday morning.  Secondly, I inspected the board again and I found I folded a pin under  the IC, CRYSTAL OSC, 32.768KHZ, 5.5V chip. It broke when I tried to move it straight. So I ordered a new one ( this chip was the one that came with the coop, I did not order it when I reordered new parts) so I am waiting on that to arrive. It has thin pins and doesn't like to be removed and re installed. I may wait till I am off pain meds before firing up the iron again. I thought this would be a good project to do while I have been recovering from back surgery, but I have been doing less then my best work. Attached are some of my welding  and a shot of the front. The wires attached to the back are to replace the damaged wire runs. There are no shorts or bridges ( I checked with my meter before going on) The chip socket had a shorted folded pin and had to be taken off to correct it.

If it is alright with you RJ I will PM you when I have my replacement chip and can do the work.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, by therealbigjim »

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, »
well I received my replacement chip and it is installed. Read the wiki and found the 24fj32gaoo2 and selected it in the picit 3 menu and got,

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.43
Firmware type......................dsPIC33F/24F/24H
PICkit 3 Connected.
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00003046.

so I guess I have the right chip set selected. 

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, »
Well, after reading the wiki on the pic, I connected it to the clock and now I have all the leds lit at once.... I removed power and the battery but when re connected all the led are still lit. I guess that is better then having nothing lit at all .... <fp.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, by therealbigjim »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, »
Pm me and Setup a time to work with me in teamspeak. Sounds like the pic is not running .

RJ

Offline tbone321

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, »
Isn't all the LED's being lit a known issue.  IIRC, many had that issue and simply reprogrammed the Pic with the current firmware to eliminate it.  Sme actually liked that it did that as an easy way to test the LED's ad connections prior to puting it to use.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, »
Well it been a long strange trip but finally, yes finally I have a blinky flashy clock stepping through all 72 leds. The problem was the mplab ied program. I was re reading old clock trouble posts and came across a post by RJ on Nov. 15 2010 about the same condition I was having. His solution was to use the picit 3 programmer stand alone utility. I downloaded it and after two tries the lights went out and only one red led was on. I was able to set the clock and now it is propped on my computer desk, ticking / stepping away.  Thank you for the assistance. now to start on the dongle....... ;D