Author Topic: Programming PIC chip with the MCU Universal ZIF socket  (Read 6266 times)

Offline sleonhardt

I just purchased this dongle You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and was wondering if any body could help me on how to use this board to program the pic chip?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
this may help,

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
link to schematic
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline simultekie

I bought one of these with  a pickit 3 clone from the sure electronics web store.Used it to program the dongle pic chip with no problems. Didn't adjust any of the jumpers,but  did remove the top plexi cover as it made it easyer to use the leavers on the zif scockets. Followed the directions in the wiki.Good luck!!!
       Peter
If it wasn't for the last minute,nothing would get done.....Murphy.

Offline sleonhardt

Thank you

Offline sleonhardt

Just one more thing. Why can we clone the chip on the express board but we were not given the ability to clone the chip on the dongle board? Is it the cost? Because it cost me another $10.00 to have the ability to clone that chip. If there is another dongle made I wish you could do that.

Scott

Offline chrisatpsu

If you look at the pictures of the Ether Dongle, you'll see that there is an ICSP connector.
I would assume that since the the ICSP connector started showing up on the newer stuff, that it's been a re-occuring theme, and should be on future stuff.

Offline rm357

Except for unusual circumstances there is no need to clone the pics. The hex files are posted on the wiki when the program is ready for release... Older board designs assumed that the user would have the ability to program the pic before installing it. The icsp header was added to make updating the program in the pic easier.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline sleonhardt

chrisatpsu
Thank You  I did not know about the either dongle.  If that is what is going on RJ is way ahead of me.

RM
Every current dongle pic chip must be cloned. I have to buy something extra to connect the cloning device (Pickit?) to the chip and that cost app. $10.00. Otherwise I would have to ship it back and forth to someone else to be done and that takes money.  That is why I was suggesting it.

Scott

Offline simultekie

That is one of the things that is recommended to anyone getting into these type of boards.The pic programmers and zif socket boards are sometimes sold as a kit. Great to have so if there is a problem ,you can reflash your own pic chip.Just more tools of the trade.

Offline simultekie

Also I think that ,as you can see with how many times that RJ has revised the Express board,that feature will be added to future boards.Still good thing to have the separate units though :).

Offline sleonhardt

Personal I think that one of the things that RJ is trying to do is save us money. I am new to this stuff total and I will never need the zif socket adapter again in my life. Also I would not need it apparent on the new dongle. I do know that I have to buy the (Pickit?) product to do any cloning or firmware updates. I'm sorry to everyone about moaning about $10.00. But in these economic times every $10,00 counts. I could buy a lot of Christmas lights with that money.

Sorry
Scott       

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
You can always temporarily tack-solder 5 wires to the dongle board and to a 5-pin header that you plug into the Pickit.  Program the PIC and desolder the wires.  That's how I programmed my first dongle.
/mike

Offline chrisatpsu

n1ist = MacGyver    :)

Offline jeffcoast

All you need is the header and a socket for the PIC, solder the correct pins together, and there you go.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline rm357

Based on the response to my earlier message, I'm sot sure we are using words the same way.

Cloning - copying the firmware from one PIC to another
Burning, Programming, Loading - installing the firmware in a PIC - usually from a file
Firmware - the software that runs the PIC controller (or processor).
Hex file - computer file with a name like xxx.hex that contains the firmware.

You should download the appropriate hex file from the wiki to and use the pickit to load the firmware into the PIC. Yes, you need the adapter for the dongle, the DMX SSR4, and the MR16. Lately the coop managers have been programming the PICs for us (Many thanks and praises for that), but with the dongle we usually don't coop the parts, so you end up with blank ones...

RJ has done an amazing job designing hardware that just works, is easy to build, and incorporates a lot of nice to haves - like the ICSP connector, meaningful indicator lights, etc. For those of us that have been in the electronics industry a long time, we remember putting EPROMS into UV ovens to erase them, burning them in a separate fixture, then reinstalling them before use.

Adding the ICSP connector would require a reworking of the board layout, prototyping, beta testing, and then finally reach a stage where it becomes economical. You are talking about a significant investment in time and money before it gets to a point that it can be coop-ed. With the upcoming ether-dongle, I personally think the USB dongle is going to become obsolete... I would rather have RJ spending his time on the new stuff than adding the ICSP header to the USB dongle...

Thanks,
RM
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA