Author Topic: can one fry the pixel chips with 12V or did I get a bad strip?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline ptone

When the links to SS pixels were first posted I got in a sampling of 1804 pixel modules and strips, but did not get one of the basic controllers.  I've just finished building an alternative pixel controller, and fired up and tested the rectangular modules fine.

The first flex strip I plugged in seemed to have some problems, some flickering in the first pixels, then all the other pixels would turn on even with no data being sent

I tried the second strip I tried seemed to work fine, other than a slight flicker when full on.  But in handling it I noticed that the wires on the output side were warm and only then noticed that they were tinned and were shorting - DUR DUR, I hadn't even looked at this because at 120 pixels, there is no way one would splice onto the end.  Well un-crossing those and the slight flicker went away completely and the strip (#2) continued to work great.

No looking back at strip #1 and the output wires were crossed much worse.  I cleared that up and tested the strip again - but no dice, it still was on even if I disconnected the data cable.

So did I fry the chips?  Or do I have a dud strip?

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline RJ

• Administrator
They can be damaged like most electronics.  But I can not answer your question.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ptone

Well maybe I just got lucky with the second strip's short not being as bad. Either way let my story be a note o caution to those with less electronics inclination like myself. I was being less cautious because it was low voltage. Its a quick way to zap money away  :-\
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Maybe you only damaged the first section. Try cutting it and reconnecting you might get lucky.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rm357

In my testing with the 2010-A controller, i found that the rigid strips need the data rate set to high (800khz) while the pixel strings did not care.
With the low speed setting, the strips behave badly.. often all on or a full on white flasing that is really annoying...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tng5737

one thing I do when I first get the strings is identify which are the outgoing wires and then I snip the end of the wires off with scissors so there is no possibility of shorting.