Author Topic: DIY Lighting EXPO 2012  (Read 10541 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
DIY Lighting EXPO 2012
« on: May 07, 2011, »

I have been talking with the staff about a get together for DIY'ers for about 3 years . Sort of a DIY summit of sorts.

After talking with my family, I am thinking sometime late March early April time frame. It will be more than a mini something in between a mini and what the PC expo is.

The focus would be all things DIY in the light animation world. So we would be out to teach how to do it cheaper and sometimes better by building it yourself. People who are not DIY'ers would be welcome, as the idea is to show everyone it is easy and what is available. As well as how all of you smart people are doing it.

All Diyer's would be welcome no matter what equipment they use.

We would be talking maybe a three day event over a weekend and maybe a Monday or Friday.

Wife's and Children would not only be welcome but would be expected. We are planning for them also.

I am thinking like a day of classes put on by a number of speakers on how to do stuff and how they use stuff. This would include every kind of lights you can imagine and let you check them out and compare. Welding for Christmas, for people that have never welded with hands on let you try it out. We will as a group build a few of the mid trees dad and I made taking turns welding and bending.

(this is where it gets different than a normal mini)

The non light members of the group would have things like craft classes at Michaels, Movies, swimming at one of the beautiful 27 lakes with 10 minutes of my house. We will plan a trip for them to maybe the Lego Land which is being built right now and will be open at that time. It's 30 minutes away and will be great fun for all ages.

We might even be able to get my brothers to bring out their airboats for those that have never been on one and would like to see the beauty of natural Florida (yes including alligators).

The second day would be build day for the light addict's, Bring you unassembled, partially assembled, or problem project with you and your solder iron cause we have just the people to help you get them going and teach you whatever you need as we do. We will spend the day building including teaching soldering and helping those that can solder but think they could do better. For those that want to do DIY but are afraid they can't with some help from a few spare pcb's and parts we will make sure you go home knowing you can do it and ready to hit the season with new inexpensive DIY devices.

Don't know the different between a Resistor and a Triac? Don't worry that is what it is all about we will make sure you do.

We will introduce everyone to Surface Mount soldering by making sure at least one Aether gets built if not a number of them.

Third day maybe we take everyone to the beach. We can show you the Florida beach unlike the crowded beaches you are familiar with. Floridians go to quieter less busy beaches that are really nice. No fighting for parking or paying lots of money.

The best part is take a week vacation and come. We are only an hour from everything big in Florida.

Walt Disney (1 hr) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bush Gardens (1hr) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lego land (30 minutes) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sea World (1 hr) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Kennedy Space Center (1.5 hr)  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Universal Studios (1 hr)  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bok Tower and Gardens (30 minutes) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Both beaches Gulf and Atlantic Ocean (1 hr)

And the list goes on and on :  See You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All of this is just ideas, nothing has been set in stone so I am starting this thread to get users talking about it. Don't like the ideas then tell us what you think would be better. What date would be better in that time period. That time period is idea weather in Florida as it is in the 70's and sunny with lower humidity.

We can do it here on my families 3.5 acres and using our homes and building or if it gets large enough we have some great places to rent out.

Don't think too small we are not looking at a get together we are looking to build an event!

Can you help do setup? do a class? Can you bring interesting things to show? Let me know.

So give me you thoughts and let me know who would want to come. I think we could turn it into a big event even the event to be at for the DIY'ers.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: DIY Lighting EXPO 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, »
That's would be awesome..
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, »
Sounds very interesting.  Would love to be taught by so many great minds using OJT.  I wonder if 3 days would be enough though. 
If my family and I were able to make it we would probably stay a week in Florida, 3 days at the expo and the other 4 days being a tourist since we would be coming from the other corner of the States.  I would suggest that perhaps a good amount time for notice since airline tickets would be cheaper for us to get, the more notice we have. 

Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, »
That was exactly what I was thinking.  Airline tickets can get expensive if you try and get them within  a few days of travel.  You may also want to contact any of the local hotels and see if they will arrange a group rate for this awesome event.  As for the days, Friday is the only day that works for me since I'm back in school Mon thru Thurs but I am only one person and if you are giving a choice, majority rules.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, »
Tickets no problem we have a full year and I wamt to have the dates set in the next month.

Thats the plan make it a Florida Vacation and spend a few days with us at the Expo!

Hotels will be no problem with enough people we can get some great rates.

RJ

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, »
Sounds like a great idea!  I'm in.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thats the plan make it a Florida Vacation and spend a few days with us at the Expo!

RJ

Brought to you by the Florida Tourism and Travel Bureau    ;D

honestly, it sounds like a cool idea!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, »

RJ

Brought to you by the Florida Tourism and Travel Bureau    ;D

honestly, it sounds like a cool idea!

<fp.

Just got to get enough interest to make it happen.

RJ
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, by RJ »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, »
Awesome,

Pencil in me and my wife and at least my youngest son

Rick R.

Oh, my son is demanding going to LegoLand  ;D
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, »
As I live in Orlando, I would surely make it if it doesn't interfere with my work. I work every other weekend, so it would be a 50% chance, and I am off this weekend. :)
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline inzeos

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, »
Sounds very interesting RJ.

Heck, it would be neat if you put your ideas into a WIKI page.  Maybe called it "DIY, DIY Lighting EXPO" and other members could potentially run them regionally for folks who don't want to or can't travel that far.

Leif

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, »
LOL, I must be numerically challenged.  This whole time I thought that this was being set up for THIS year not seeing that it is 2012, not 2011.  I was thinking that if he was trying to set it up for later THIS month or early next month that it doesn't give much time to get airline tickets which could make them very expensive.  Now that I see I have a year or more it is time to start planning.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, »
Sounds very interesting RJ.

Heck, it would be neat if you put your ideas into a WIKI page.  Maybe called it "DIY, DIY Lighting EXPO" and other members could potentially run them regionally for folks who don't want to or can't travel that far.

Leif

(First to say not ment to be mean or hijack the thread - just info in response)

Texas does - it is described the same way ( larger then a mini (not a mini) - Not as much as PLUS (but we can argue this) ) This is year 4 for this type of event for us. This year DIY is a big topic (big demand - and DIY has been there for the past 3 years) and a lot of work goes into the academy each year. Everyone is welcomed - we have even had chuck smith attend (and I know RJ has thought about it and would love to see him there) - we do multiple classes at the same time and non light animation (Christmas Villages, Halloween, Fireworks, welding, etc ...).

I think it sounds great - I am interested in seeing the cost.

Haros

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, »
Up here in the northeast lots of folks like to head to Florida during the school vacation weeks.  It would be nice if the EXPO coincided with this.  Probably varies from state to state which week they pick for vacation, so maybe try to find the most common week for school vacations.

-Mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, »
Up here in the northeast lots of folks like to head to Florida during the school vacation weeks.  It would be nice if the EXPO coincided with this.  Probably varies from state to state which week they pick for vacation, so maybe try to find the most common week for school vacations.

-Mike

Then everyone let me know when this is for your area. then we can see what lines up.

RJ