Hardware > Lynx Smart String

Smart String FAQ's

<< < (2/2)

drlucas:
Can we update the FAQ for #10? I see in the wiki there is a picture of the hub ,but it just says PC ATX Power Supply and shows a single line going to the board. The question that I have is do I use both the 24pin and 3x4pin connectors, or just the single 24pin connector? I believe the answer is both because the 24pin connector will power the chips on the board that require 3.3 and 5v and the 4pin connectors will help spread the load across other wires.....and also one should only use a single power supply for each hub. I think I've generally seen a few posts that suggest that as the best way to go.

I do however not know the correct answer to this question and figured it might a common question. Can anyone help clarify  ??

10 - Why use a Computer power supply instead of a 12v only single output unit?

Well you can do either if you want. The reason is cost. You simple can not get more power cheaper than we can using 12v out of computer power supplies. We    all want to save money and have it easy. I made the Hub to allow you to plug the ATX supply to the board with out cutting or modifying it so if it fails you can remove it and get it replaced on warranty. It also can be used still for other things like a computer.

rrowan:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginCan we update the FAQ for #10? I see in the wiki there is a picture of the hub ,but it just says PC ATX Power Supply and shows a single line going to the board. The question that I have is do I use both the 24pin and 3x4pin connectors, or just the single 24pin connector? I believe the answer is both because the 24pin connector will power the chips on the board that require 3.3 and 5v and the 4pin connectors will help spread the load across other wires.....and also one should only use a single power supply for each hub. I think I've generally seen a few posts that suggest that as the best way to go.

I do however not know the correct answer to this question and figured it might a common question. Can anyone help clarify  ??

10 - Why use a Computer power supply instead of a 12v only single output unit?

Well you can do either if you want. The reason is cost. You simple can not get more power cheaper than we can using 12v out of computer power supplies. We    all want to save money and have it easy. I made the Hub to allow you to plug the ATX supply to the board with out cutting or modifying it so if it fails you can remove it and get it replaced on warranty. It also can be used still for other things like a computer.

--- End quote ---

In the wiki equipment page under the hubs is this post and warning:
NOTE: POWER CONNECTORS: ALWAYS use the (3) 4 pin power connectors with the 24 pin connector
Failure to add the extra power connectors can/will damaged the PS 24 pin Connector and Hub from excess current

I hope that helps :)

Rick R.

rm357:
It should be stated in several places that you need to use all of the hub power connections.

The reason is that each connection pin can only handle so much power.

The 12 volt pins in the big connector (2?) are rated at something like 6 amps each, the smaller connectors at something like 10 amps each. All 4 connectors added together gives you about 42 amps to drive the smart strings...

drlucas:
Well...i think the red bold font on my computer gets masked to all white and was invisible for me....

That's the story and Im sticking to it.

I guess I'm more a visual person and like pictures. Maybe if the text talked slower I'd of seen this.

.....add that to dumb question of the day for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version